Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gut String Maintenance

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chef, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Sorry if this is newbie sounding stuff, and I did look in the newbie post-its...
    Is it recommended to "oil" gut strings, and if so, what do you use? How often? The one guy I know in town that recommended anything said olive oil...? Also, do I need to do this to my metal wrapped e and a guts? Thanks, Alan

2. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Hola- newbie shmewbie, you won't get flak from me... there's too much mud slinging on this forum already- As for your question; I use all plain guts- I use olive oil- When the strings start to look less transluscent and are noticably dry, first trim off any "hairs" you might have, then put a bit of oil on a clean rag and swab them down- When I do this (about once every two weeks or so), I do it at night and let it sit all night, then wipe them down again with a dry rag in the morning- I don't have the steel wrapped A and E, but have heard that you should only have to oil them if you notice the steel wrap starting to unravel- Then take them off the bass and soak them overnight in oil- The gut underneath will swell a little bit, making the steel wrap tight again and less prone to unravelling-

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You might notice with olive oil that it gums up over time. It might be better to use canola oil or walnut oil. You will find that it is mostly the plain gut strings that need to be oiled.

4. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    I have noticed this, that's good to know I can avoid this with a different type oil-
    Off topic; I see you (Adrian) use a Roland cube-I've been using one of those, when I have to be amplified- It's a great little amp, huh? I've played through more powerful (and expensive) rigs, but keep coming back to the little orange Roland...-

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Canola oil=grocery store,
    Walnut oil=...???

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think Lemon Oil will work the same as Walnut...you can find that almost anywhere.

The Roland Cubes are great little amps! They aren't really hi-fi, but they get the job done and sound good too!