1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GWAR Halloween cover show

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Hector_G, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    So for the last 3 years my friend had always wanted to do a show for his annual Halloween party. It never did happen.

But this year... oh this year... IT'S ON!

We're doing a 10 song GWAR set for the party. It's gonna be great.
    You know, I've listened to the band for a long time. And you always blow them off as just simple gimmick rock.
    But actually learning the songs, I've found that the song writing is pretty darned good. Weird timings, odd tempo changes and good progressions. It was actually a little challenging.

And their bass tone, whoah, it's one of the best overdriven grindy bass tones I've heard. It's heavy, full of bottom and driven to perfection. It's sits so well in their mix.

All new appreciation for this band.

Video will be posted this weekend.

Oh and, no, unfortunately I didn't have enough time to get a full on Beefcake The Mighty costume going on.
    I am ashamed.

2. My name is CrispyDelicious, and I endorse this thread.

Will Gor-Gor be making an appearance?

dinoPope5.

3. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Our people contacted Gor Gor's agent. Apparently Gor Gor is already booked for another appearance on planet Scumdoggia on Halloween night. Drats.

But we'll be playing a song about him. Crack In The Egg. Would have been perfect.

4. Aesome. Crack in the Egg is probably one of my top ten GWAR tunes. Oh nostalgia!

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    you at least have to cut off our ex-president's head...

oh, please play Bring Back the Bomb, I love that song

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    What are the songs in the set?

7. Devillock

Devillock

Jan 6, 2008
    North Jersey
    Play Maggots, that song is awesome. No Beefcake costume, thats not cool:)

8. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    The set list goes like this..
    1. Baby Raper
    2. Maggots
    3. Vlad The Impaler
    4. Ham On The Bone
    5. Crack In The Egg
    6. The Salaminizer
    7. Fishf*ck
    8. Penis I See
    9. Hate Love Songs
    10. Jack The World

We found that the set would be pretty short, so we're thinking about throwing in Bring Back The Bomb if we can learn it in time.

And, just for kicks, we might be doing Journey's Don't Stop Believing to close the set.
    Just to be silly and get all the drunk folks singing along super loud.
    "This last song is on GWAR's latest album!"

And I just had no time at all to come up with a Beefcake costume. We barely decided to do this less than 4 weeks ago, and by that time I had already got my current costume ready. Didn't want to throw even more cash into a costume.

9. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    The singer for this band was able to make his Oderus mask in time. I thought it actually came out REALLY good.
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea how to sculpt a huge Roman helmet in such short notice.
    And chest plates are rather pricey too.

10. Awesome man. I love Gwar! some of my favorite songs are "Slap You Around" and "Sick of You". Let us know how everyone likes the show!

11. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Foam dude! You can buy foam pretty cheap at the craft store. You probably don't have time now though.

12. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm pretty sure his helmet is a motorbike helmet with a lot of foam. As for the chest plate just get some plastic or even cardboard would do :D

Hope it goes well, you got a great set list!

13. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    No slaughterama? thats the song that got me into them. So how do you hide money from a hippie?

14. YOU PUT IT UNDER THE SOAP!

15. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Here is our vocalists nearly completed Oderus Urungus costume.

IMG00592.

CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW!

16. I would have loved to have seen this. Not to be dicky name dropper, but I played bass on seven of the songs you performed that night.

Michael Bishop

17. djembe

djembe

Dec 24, 2005
    Groves, Tx
    Just wanted to say This Toilet Earth is one of my all time favorite albums. You don't get a chance to say "Thanks" very often to someone who made music music you really dig. So, thanks, man.

18. David Pinton

David Pinton

Jul 27, 2008
    Normandie, France
    Builder DPinton Guitars and Basses
    So where are the gig pictures? I didn't know GWAR until this thread and they seem completely great! So much better than serious metal (to me at least).