1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

H1's better or worse than AM STD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jared92, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Just wondering. The H1 fenders looks alot better to me. I love the nitro finish. But besides that and the badass. Whats the real difference?

2. some people will tell you the H-1's are just MIM fenders built in the U.S., hence the price difference. Others will tell you they are on par with any AM STD they have played, and others will just tell you they are somewhere in between MIM and AM STD.

I believe the some of the hardware,electronics, and pickups are the same as on STD fenders but I am not sure.

The Bottom Line? Play one for yourself and make the decision.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I was told by a local shop owner that they were cheaper because of the finishes and they don't have as high quality control. Not 100% positive about this, just what I've been told.

4. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Is it safe to say AM STD is for the most part better though?

5. I'd say so.

Although as is the case with any bass, you have some great ones, some ok ones and some bad ones. You're going to come across this with any mass produced bass. In saying that, I believe that you have more of a chance of getting a great one in the American line. I'm no gear snob by any means, this is just the case in my experience.

Cheers,

Dave.

6. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    I just love nitro. I personally don't like the greasebucket tone circuit i hate how it sounded and that is why I got rid of my HW one. If I ever bought a HW one again it would be one with out the greasebucket. Nitro is the best though.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Too fragile.

8. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    You got rid of a HW One over a part that costs a couple bucks?

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Very subjective. Look at the MSRP, that will tell you where it should fit in the hierarchy. Then play one and find out what you like.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think H1 are very nice, and you can find really sweet players if you look. American Standards are made from better components, but that doesn't mean that a H1 can't be a keeper.:)

11. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    I believe the AM Standard comes with a nice case. HW One, no case included. The AM Standard is only $200 more at GC. That makes the hierarchy ever more blurry between these two. Also the HW One had the BAII bridge before the AM Standard came with a high mass bridge in 2008. They also have the same neck.

12. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    I just checked the GC website. The AM Standard is only $150 more.

13. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    So it was a better bridge, no case, and before 2008 it lacked the S1 switching. I guess then it came down to the finish. What pick-ups came stock on a HW1? That could make a big difference in quality. OTOH, if you're talking about the 2008 standards, I'd probably just as soon pay the extra 150 for that.

14. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    I too would buy the 2008 standard for $150 more because you do need a case and I paid $120 for a roadrunner case.