Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaNaDaRoCkSoY, May 17, 2005.

1. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    I am not a good haggler. When I fall in love with a bass its hard for me to create a nice poker face and talk the dealer down.

I have my own technique of trying a really cheap bass and the one I want so then when I try to bargain for the one I want they have to lean that way so they get a larger commision. But some times they can tell that I am lying about another store selling it at several hundred lower.

How do you guys haggle for a new bass? How do you keep the odds on your side even when you really know it is amazingly discounted and theres not much lower they can legally sell it to you.
  2. You just have to act disinterested, or act like you can see through them, even if you can't. And lowball, lowball, lowball. Don't be ridiculous, but make them think you'll bite if they tweak the price.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think you must develope a relationship with the sales person. When you become HIS customer and he knows you will spend he is more likely to bend over backwards for you. When you need strings see him, ask his advice, need another strap see HIM, wanna buy an amp, see HIM. once he knows your money is good and you are not wasting his time he will work with you. Sales people work off of commision, they might need a couple of extra dollars to pay a bill and you might be there just at the right time, now they know you will pay your price and that commision may be all they need! I have a relationship with all the guy's I buy from in all the different places I buy from. When I want something I say "how much" and what they tell me depends on if I buy It or not. If I don't like the price I will tell them no. I once asked a manager at Sam Ash how much would he sell me this particular used MIA dlx jazz marked $850 for, he told me give him $800. I put the bass back on the shelf. I went back two weeks later and the bass had new string on it and sounded awesome, i asked the manager again to give me a price, he asked what was the last price he gave me, I told him i'll hang this magnificent Fender back up! he told me to give him a minute because he was busy then he told me to give him $650! I told him to write it up which he did the he politely kicked me out his store! He even once opened his store back up for me on new years eve to buy my Marcus Miller jazz :) It's all about a sale to these stores, if they know your a buyer they will come down and give you the deals within reason you will want.

P.S. I have never paid the "skew" price for any bass I have bought, Never payed full price for any skb case, any amps, any speaker cabs, Levy's strap or anything with a price tag on it.
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I dunno, I can haggle like an Arab merchant when I want to, but I just don't anymore. I've established a relationship with a salesman at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center and when I buy a bass, it's more important that I buy from him than saving $20 somewhere else. We're in frequent email contact about new instruments and colors from the brands I like and I think he has a right to make a living.
  5. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    I hate haggling: I wish people would just be straight. I usually end up with a really bad deal whether I'm buying or selling if the price is viewed not so much as an absolute value but more as a rather abstract (and therefore very changeable, usually in the other person's favour) concept.

6. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    i wish i could do that as well as you can. what do you do when u go to buy something and plan on spenidng however much less like us aid u never paid full price. what do you do just go up to the person and say can i get this for 650 instead of 800 or what. i would love to know how to do this better.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's important to know somethings worth! stores are in business to make money, basses hanging on shelves not moving is not productive! when you patronize a store and help them pay their bills they will in turn help you with your gas! You just can't walk in a store and tell them what YOU want to pay, you must start a working relationship with them. What you will find is the more you spend the less you will start to pay. You will end up with more stuff for less money, You will be called "a good customer"
  8. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I think there is more to haggling than developing a relationshi;p with the salesperson. When I buy something, I am all business. I try and find the item somewhere else (not too easy when we are talking bass guitars). It also makes a difference if you are paying cash. If I am paying cash I will haggle until the cows come home. I will even put the bass back on the rack and walk away. Salepeople usually freak when you do that because they realise that you aren't so awestruck by the bass that you will buy it at any price. I always ask the saleperson what the best price is that he can do. When he tells me, I get out the disgusted look and ask him again, what really is the best price. You know whether or not you are getting a good deal because you should have done your homework before you walked into the store. Haggling isn't always easy and it doesn't always get the desired result but at the end of the day, it's my money and I work too hard to not try and save some of it!
  9. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unfortunately, I think "haggling" is a bit of a necessity for both parties. Not that its lovely or anything. Its just that, unless both parties somehow have the same price in mind that makes them both supremely content, nothing would ever get sold without "haggling". Actually, I prefer to call it "negotiating".

I just have an unspoken rule that I like to give and receive: I don't try to rip anybody off and know that things cost money. As long as I get the same back, whether I'm buying or selling, everything is cool. This is when dealing with private parties.

My tip for negotiating is to be informed. Know how much things cost and know what they are worth. Know the average store price, know the online auction price, know the used price, know all prices. This way, you know whether you are getting a good deal or not. If its a good deal, to me it is not worth negotiating for a couple measly bucks here and there. It'll average out at the end with a smooth transaction and a happy buyer/seller relationship. If its overpriced, be honest with the seller, tell them it is a little more than what you can buy it for elsewhere and if they can do a bit better, than they have a deal. If they can't, say you understand, good luck to them, and move on. If it is a buyer negotiating with you, tell them your lowest price and if they still can't meet it, tell them that you can't do that and thank them for their time. No funky games or trickery...just a straight up discussion of what both of you can afford to buy and sell something for.

When it comes to retailers, especially the big company ones, the gloves come off a little. Why? Because they can either sell to me or don't. If they sell it to me at a price I ask for, I am making the assumption they are still making money for it as their business is to make money, not donate to my favorite charity: ME. I tend to not try to bottom out independent store owners as they work on tighter margins. They still are a business so if they sell to me I still assume they are making money and they don't have to sell to me, but I understand they have to make money like I have to make money. And the extra couple bucks here and there goes a long way for them as it does the customer relationship, unlike most big-chain stores.

I think overall that unless you do want to resort to tricks or deception, a poker face is not needed. Sure, some retailers will not budge on an unreasonable price if you seem like the eager type, but all it takes is your honest description of your budget. If they still feel like its worth playing the sucker game, then find another way to buy the item. I assure you that if there is room to move, he/she will literally call you back into the store to suddenly reveal that the manager has approved a discount!

:eek: :D
  10. I agree with many points here from keeping the poker face to building a relationship with the sales person. I seem to get better deals going through the same guy every time. I got a Taylor 314ce (Yes I play guitar as well) which listed for $1700 for $1,050 with the case. I didn't even ask for it.

I do have an alternate suggestion which is also an amusing story.

This guy I know saves every receipt for every piece of gear bought at every store. He goes into the store with these receipts and when he finds what he wants he offers a price. Of course the salesman always counters and that is when they get hit with a bag full of receipts and a predetermined total of the receipts. He gives them the "I've spent $22,000 in the past three years on gear. If you don't give me what I want, I'll go to your competition. I spend a lot of money on gear and I don't think your manager would appreciate you screwing this up and costing the store a valued customer"

yadda yadda yadda...

It's mean but it has worked more times for my friend than I care to admit. I couldn't do this because I'm laid back and not the type of person to make big waves, but I must admit I have seen this in person and it's hard not to laugh at the situation. I always feel bad for the sales guy.
  11. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah that's some good advice right there. I went and bought a couple new cabs today (as well as a few other things to go along with it) We were having a good conversation while I was looking things over asking advice and such, he was a nice guy to deal with and we worked things out with no anxiety. I knew the price on things beforehand and what i wanted to (or at least was willing to) pay and what the going rates of things were. I got a little less than I wanted on the cab I traded in but it was pretty beat up. However they still gave me a fair enough deal for it, and knocked off a few bucks on the other things (cables, straps, etc). Honestly aside from the trade in I got a good deal on everything.
  12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    when you take money off a bass price at a store all your doing is cutting into a salesmans commission, your not hurting the store at all. If you do actually cut into the stores profits they just take it out of the commission. Dont haggle just find someone you like dealing with and you wont have to be that annoying idiot, you can be the guy that gets called when the cool stuff comes in.
  13. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    What's always worked best for me was to nearly be an a** ***e about buying. The last bass I bought off the shelf was my IbanezBTB406. Sticker said $695.
    This was (basically) my conversation with the guy at Sam Ash.

Him: "So.. you wanna take this one home today? (fake salesman laugh)"

Me: "Not for $700, you're out of your mind if you think I'm paying that much for something that I know has been sitting on you wall for two months getting played by every hack that's walked back here. What can you do with it?"

Him: after a blank stare for a second or two "Hang on a sec. I'll go look it up for ya".....

.... "My manager said I can drop it as low as $625, but that's it, it's the last one we've got and don't know when we'll bet another in"

(Not that, that had ANYTHING to do with selling this one.)

Me: "You're kidding right? I'd give you like.. $500, Maybe $525 for it."

Him: "Na.. I can't go that low on it man. But $625 is a steal on this thing.. it lists at over $900"

Me: "Nope. Forget it."

Walked to pro audio, then slowly wandered back over to the bass section where I was soon approached by the guy and his manager. Explained that I wasn't going that high on something that was now, to me, a used instrument, since it had been there for a long time and been played by so many people and misshandled.

Ended up walking out with it for about $550 with a new set of strings thrown in, and a SKB road case for about $50.

Don't be afraid to be a loud, annoying, @$$ bag. Just don't over-do it to the point that you get kicked out.
    Then throw in a little "I really don't care if I have this bass or not. I was just wasting some time today" and they'll start dropping the price with little hagling on your end.
    When all is said and done, you'll work them over like a cheap hooker, and at the same time make them think THEY were the best salesmen Ever, because they were able to talk someone like you into buying!

14. hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Orlando, Fl

you are my hero
  15. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Bill Brooks?
  16. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! thats hilarious! I would love to see him in action!!
  17. Well.... I know how to pick friends! :smug:
  18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Brian Meader. I've yet to drill down on some minute product detail that he doesn't know the answer to in spades. He's got friends across the industry and usually has good scoop on new amps and basses. I usually try to see him on weekdays because everybody's looking for him on weekends.

In an era where customer service is a lost art, Brian's professionalism is a refreshing change.
  19. Man... I wish I could get that here. We don't even have a decent high end store.
  20. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...the most important fact you can have is knowing exactly how much the dealer paid for it. Then you say, "I'm a reasonable man and I realize that you need to make a profit. I'm going to let you tell me how much profit you can live with, then I'm going to the guy down the street and ask him the same question."

Get them to bid against each other, not against your wallet. This method takes you out of the equation, and it works really well for cars, too.