1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hair falling out

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    What would cause this, a few months from a new set being put in, by a luthier? Poor craftsmanship? Cheap hair? A combination of both?? Does the bow have anything to do with it?

Needless to say, won't be going back anytime soon!

Regards to all

2. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

I saw the headline and thought it meant you were going bald. And, no, I don't think a luthier would cause baldness

Kickdrum likes this.
  3. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    How is it falling out? Are whole hairs pulling out of the tip or frog (check the length of the hairs)? If so, the hair was not secured well at the ends. Can you easily pull out more hairs? You might mention it to the person who did the work.

salcott likes this.
  4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Dunno, I think some of them can get pretty riled if you stiff them on your bill...

Regarding the hair falling out, Michael beat me to it. Could the hair have gotten wet? If the hair is pulling out, then it sounds like it needs to be resecured; if it's breaking, maybe just a poor hank of hair. You're not over tightening it are you?

5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    You ought to be going back A.S.A.P. Give the luthier a chance to make it right and give yourself a chance to get your bowhairs secured without paying for a do-over.

6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    I'll go and see him.
    Fellow DB player has some issue, I found out.
    The hair comes out during regular playing. No over tightening.