1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hairspray

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by sejarus, Oct 8, 2010.

1. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    Anyone played the show "Hairspray"? I'm going to be playing it in the spring, and I'm curious about what the score looks like. There's a lot of really cool active stuff on the Broadway soundtrack. I'm wondering if that's written in the score, or if the score is more basic, or if the score is more chord symbols.

(I realize it's a BG show, but I think a lot of people who play shows hang out here on the URB side.)

2. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    the part i played was all written out. i don't remember if it included chord symbols, but you can ad lib or simplify it in spots that will be obvious once you see the book.

3. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    I'm actually hoping the good stuff from the soundtrack is in the score. If not, I'll be tempted to transcribe it, which takes more time than I really have (but I'd probably do it anyway).

Thanks for the info--I really appreciate it.

4. Bassguyrob

Bassguyrob

Jan 17, 2003
    Spokane WA
    Played it this summer, would suggest 'shedding on 'Nicest Kids in Town' due to the Ab Major key and the stupid patterns written on the page and 'You Can't Stop the Beat' just to get the off beat internalized. It was a blast and I had a lot of fun. Good luck to ya!

5. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    Thanks for the tips - I'm looking forward to it!

6. marcencabo

marcencabo

Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I played this show in the summer as well. There were written lines for pretty much all of the songs, though the chords are there as well if I remember correctly. There's definitely a lot of room for ad libbing, because some of the lines are simplified (some a whole lot more than others) from the Broadway version.

Hope you have fun playing the show, the music is great.

7. alcockell

alcockell

Sep 25, 2008
    How did the published score compare to the film? or did the OP go with stuff fromt he film?

8. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    It's been a few years now, but my recollection is that the bass score from the show really isn't the same as the movie. Same songs, and mostly the same, but there are a lot of cool licks in the movie that aren't in the bass score. But it's not a dumbed-down score, and it's a fun show to play.

9. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings, Phil Jones Bass Amplification, Remic, 64 Audio
    The bass book has chord symbols on top of the written lines. I've posted it on my Dropbox here.

10. Hey rosskratter, much obliged for the dropbox link, but I got a 403 error.

I'd love to work through Hairspray as a learning exercise, any way to fix the link?

Cheers,
    FF

11. Ross Kratter

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings, Phil Jones Bass Amplification, Remic, 64 Audio
    I will try later today.

12. Ross Kratter

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    This should be the correct link. Sorry I forgot to post this last week. Let me know if it doesn't work and I can email you the file or something.

13. Error (403)

14. Ross Kratter

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    That's really weird; not sure why it's not working. I'll try again late tonight,