Hal Leonard Complete Bass Method

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Orco87, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    It seems as if I've been collecting gear more then actually playin' for the 5 years I've taken this on.

I noticed a thread or two about books and picked up this one.

This book completely rocks! :bassist: Although I've been playin' for a good bit of time, it starts off nice and easy, and I actually am finally learning how to read bass clef... It reminds me of my trumpet days back in middle school...

Granted, I've had the book for a mere day+ and I'm only on the second section of the 1st lesson, but it's sooo much fun!

I'm just giddy :hyper: ... don't mind me. :smug:

I do recommend this book though :D
  2. seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
  3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    does the complete method miss out on any content that is in the first three? If so, how much, and is it enough that it would make more sense to buy all three separate?
  4. seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    no, it's all 3 books complete, in a spiral bound edition. I think you save a few bucks buying this way rather than each separate book. I've got the complete edition, with the cds, and it's worth every penny. I use this book for all my students.
  5. Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI

I love this book - nothin' like being able to read notes. You'll always be able to read tab, might as well learn to read bass clef as soon as possible. It will save you lots of headaches in the future.
  6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Has anyone tried both the hal leonard method as well as the mel bay? I've heard both are good, but i only want one method book. Opinions?
  7. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area

you won't go wrong with Hal Leonard -- Ed Friedling did a great job on this set. I am self teaching now from it, and I have see LOTS of music books (mostly drums) in the past. This is the best thing I have ever seen hands down.
  8. seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    I used to use Mel Bay, and it is a good method, but it is hideously out of date, (Just check out the photos at the beginning of the book) and, in my opinion, assumes too much theoretical knowledge on the part of the student. The Hal Leonard method teaches the same information, but explains every new piece of material, and uses examples that sound contemporary.