Hal Robinson

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Does anyone know if Hal Robinson has a private studio outside of Curtis?
    Does anyone know how much he charges, etc....

2. My understanding is that he does not take on full-time students outside of the seven he has through Curtis. He will, however, see bassists for individual lessons, or perhaps a series of lessons. I don't know what he charges, but if you're planning to apply to Curtis, it's not a bad idea.
  3. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks for the info. Curtis, as I understand, is an undergrad-only school. I am 34, have a master's already so I am not sure if curtis will be interested in me. I guess I could find out more about it.
  4. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I am aware of at least one person who had already had a BA and studied with Hal prior to getting his gig. It may be the sort of thing that you would want to do before an audition.
  5. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I've known Hal Robinson for about ten years. He always comes to the Richard Davis Foundation, and he is a terrific, very approacable man. See if you can't get his number there or call him. If you can't find the info send me a private note, I should have his email address around somewhere.
  6. Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    At Curtis you can recieve a masters and doctoral degree, it's not undergrad only. Check this site: http://www.curtis.edu/html/20000.shtml
    However, Curtis, since it is no tuition, looks for the best students up to I believe 23 years of age and younger.
  7. Actually, that link says they only offer undergraduate degrees for instrumentalists. Vocal majors have the option to pursue a master's.

As for age, Curtis limits bass applicants to 23 years. For violin and cello, I think the number is 21.
  8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Hal has taken some private students and also has done some teaching at Temple. He tends to handle things on a case by case bassis. Try getting in touch with him and I am sure he will at least talk with you about what you want to do and your situation. If he can't take you on, he will probably recommend someone for you.
  9. kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    To my knowledge he'll take students over the summer for lessons if you ask him. I think he's too busy with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Curtis during the year to take private students though it is possible to get him for one or two private lessons if you call him up or email him.