1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Half an Ampeg SVT 810e

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mapleglo, Jul 18, 2016.

1. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    So I saw a pair of empty Ampeg S210 cabinets in the classified section over the weekend, and it turned out that the seller was local. So after a few pm's, we agreed on a price and I picked them up the next day. I've been wanting to use the speakers from an 810 I got off of Craig's list for a while, and these cabinets fit the bill. I figure as I get older, moving that beast (or both of them, in my case) is less desirable, but I don't want to compromise on sound.

Looking them over once I got home, it turns out they are just smaller than the individual 2x10 cabinets that make up the SVT - 1.9 cubic feet compared to 1.8. They are "ported", if you call cutting a rectangular hole in the front of the cabinet "ported", so I had to make some adjustments.

2qc12ly.

So the first thing I did was make a couple of patches to fill that hole. The SVT is sealed, as we all know.

14bpcm0.

Once I made the two patches and glued them in, I painted them. All I had was black gloss spray paint, but it seemed to do the job.

a9s0hw.

So I started pulling out four of the SVT speakers from the fridge.

2nhgk9c.

I figured I'd use the cabinet stuffing from the SVT as well.

Once I pulled out a sheet, I was not impressed.

2aj70i0.

It's much thinner than the other SVT 810e fill I have. Perhaps that's why this cab never sounded as good. The other cab uses some kind of polyfill - I found an old pic:

2uo165j.

So off to the fabric store.

They had both foam and polypill, so I bought a selection of each.

21b0tg5.

I started out using the foam. I figured if it didn't sound good, I'd swap it out for the polyfil.

For me, the foam is easier as you don't have to tack it in place. It's thick and stiff enough to stay in place.

2i08bib.

It also takes up more interior room, which is desirable in this case. More fill can make up for a smaller interior volume. It's only a matter of 0.1 cubic feet, but every little bit helps.

So I started installing the speakers.

11ubv39.

52xpc0.

15nn212.

OK, almost done.

Just as a comparison, here's one next to my Micro VR rig.

b50dy1.

Hooked up to my PF-800.

nnl2mh.

And it sounds huge, like an SVT. I'm very happy with the way these came out. They also came with covers, which likely explains how they are in such great shape after 40 years.

Here's my wall of Ampeg.

70bzvb.

I'll have to rearrange some things, but for now, I think I'll just rock these new cabs. This makes me want to go out and join another band, just to hear how well these sit in the mix :bassist:

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Very cool project! Those are some cool cabs you have there.

mapleglo likes this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    very nice

Son of Wobble and mapleglo like this.
  4. Saw those and thought they would be a cool project. A little bigger than I imagined. So with (2) 32ohms you are running two 16 ohms boxes as an 8 ohm load. Depending on the foam used, speakers will see open celled foam and batting as an increase in box volume, not a decrease. To reduce volume you would need solid objects such as bracing.

5. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Right, these boxes are a little too small compared to an SVT, which is why I wanted to pack a lttle extra foam in there. Eventually, I'd like to build 2 more. The S210 boxes are made from press board, so they're a bit heavy, about 40 pounds a box. Even 3/4" plywood would reduce the weight by maybe 10 pounds I'd bet.

Son of Wobble and BassGreaser like this.
  6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I saw these too! Glad someone bought them and are putting them to use.

(makes me want to buy them now!)

7. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    That's exactly what I would have done with those. I'm a bit surprised they are bigger than the 210AV.

Great job!

mapleglo likes this.
  8. Cool, thanx 4 posting. I'm glad they sound great for you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mapleglo likes this.
  9. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Bringing this thread back for an update. My local wood store was having a sale on baltic birch, and I thought it was a good time to build another set of the 2x10 cabs. All four would *be* an SVT 810, and it would fit in my Honda Civic. This way, I could also get rid of the 2nd fridge in my music room.

So I bought a sheet of 3/4" 5'x5', and cut it to size.

mmq6ad.

Once everything was cut, I started assembly. I made a "box" for the jack plate, to keep the cab sealed.

28ic7sy.

2e2nkle.

First one assembled.

8x6m3a.

I'm using screws to hold the cab together while the glue dries. But to save my router bit when I round over the edges, I'm pulling all the screws out and replacing them with wood dowels. My least favorite part. Very repetitive. There's like 60 screws.

256z3f6.

So once the glue dries, I'll cut off the excess and sand flat. This cab will be done, and I'll move to the other one.

While waiting for the glue to dry, I wired up the jack plates.

25fr56t.

And that's where I am now. I still have to sand down the sticky uppy dowels on the first cab, assemble the 2nd, and cover both with duratex. It's still a bit warm during the days here in Phoenix, so working in the afternoons is pretty uncomfortable. I'll probably finish this up next weekend. Or the weekend after. It always takes longer than one plans.

I was hoping these would weight less than the original S210 pressboard cabs, but I think they're just about the same. I'll weigh them once they're done.

One additional note. I set the baffle a quarter inch more forward to compensate for the volume of the center divider and the jack plate box. I'll stuff the cabs with foam like I did with the S210's. I'm looking forward to comparing the two sets.

10. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    OK, both cabs are assembled. Now a lot of detail work to get them ready for paint.

b7cprm.

Probably next weekend.

11. Ampeg-geek-approved.

12. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I loves me some cool Ampeggy stuff! Very nice job

13. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I got a little more work done this morning on the cabinets. Sealed all the joints with silicon, removed the rest of the screws and put in the dowels, screwed in the spacers for the grilles, and final sanding and round overs.

35k6dfq.

The power went out this morning due to a pretty severe thunder storm, but it came back about an hour later. Fortunately, nothing like the weather they're experiencing on the east coast. Sending out prayers and well wishes to all the peoples there.

Then a couple of coats of flat black on the faces.

13z3975.

And once that dried, the first coat of Duratex.

2roicdh.

I think I have enough Duratex left for another coat, which I'll apply once this one dries. Then I can start on assembly.

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You are making me want a pair!!

15. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Worked a little more on the cabs this morning.

30vnds2.

Put on the corners and installed the jack plates. I sealed up the pass through for the wires with a bit more silicon. Foam and speakers next. I still have to order some grille cloth.

Son of Wobble and S-Bigbottom like this.
  16. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Foam is in and starting on the wiring and installing the speakers.

v49ufp.

Son of Wobble and S-Bigbottom like this.
  17. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Slight diversion. I forgot to install the handles.

j5awlt.

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Nice cabinets.

One test that I would try is blocking the cutout between the speaker chambers. I was told by two speaker designers that it would perform better if each 10" were in their own chamber. Never had a chance to try it.

mapleglo likes this.
  19. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    And done.

2hz9eb.

The grilles even fit. Sounds like an SVT :)

Thanks! You know, I probably should have tried each in it's own cabinet. A bit late now, though I suppose I could try it next time I have them apart. I still have to order and make the grilles.

20. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Wall of Ampeg (sprinkled with Peavey).

2ns58vo.