Half speed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PeterF, Mar 18, 2005.

1. What do fellow TBers know about "half-speed" machines for practicing. I've read a few people recommending them to slow down the music to facilitate playing parts, hearing subltety in parts etc.

Anybody used one? Brands? Features?
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use a Tascam BT-1 and I couldn't live without it. Ok, I could but it would be harder. However, I almost never use it at 1/2 speed. By the time you go to 1/2 speed you cannot hear the notes well enough.

But, there's more! It can also boost the bass and change the pitch. It can cut the bass too, but I find it hard to play along to songs with no bass drum :meh:

Plus it has all sorts of cheesy effects you can play with when you are bored.
  3. ...Haven't used a bought one....
    ....I downloaded "Amazing Slow-downer":

Amazing Slow Downer

.. and I LOVE it, INCREDIBLY useful, particularly for playing along with a CD track that's too fast for me to play accurately up to speed; you can decrease the speed by percentage, without affecting the pitch...
    ... of course, the more you slow it down, the more it degrades the sound, but I find it to be no problem down to about 60% of original tempo.

...btw, I'm still using the free Trial version, but I'm gonna buy it for sure.....inexpensive and Hella useful practice tool :bassist:
  4. did you know Windows Media Player also can change the speed without changing pitch? and it's free....

Its under Enhancements, Play Speed settings.
  5. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat