Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half speed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PeterF, Mar 18, 2005.

1. What do fellow TBers know about "half-speed" machines for practicing. I've read a few people recommending them to slow down the music to facilitate playing parts, hearing subltety in parts etc.

Anybody used one? Brands? Features?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use a Tascam BT-1 and I couldn't live without it. Ok, I could but it would be harder. However, I almost never use it at 1/2 speed. By the time you go to 1/2 speed you cannot hear the notes well enough.

But, there's more! It can also boost the bass and change the pitch. It can cut the bass too, but I find it hard to play along to songs with no bass drum :meh:

Plus it has all sorts of cheesy effects you can play with when you are bored.

3. ...Haven't used a bought one....
    ....I downloaded "Amazing Slow-downer":

Amazing Slow Downer

.. and I LOVE it, INCREDIBLY useful, particularly for playing along with a CD track that's too fast for me to play accurately up to speed; you can decrease the speed by percentage, without affecting the pitch...
    ... of course, the more you slow it down, the more it degrades the sound, but I find it to be no problem down to about 60% of original tempo.

...btw, I'm still using the free Trial version, but I'm gonna buy it for sure.....inexpensive and Hella useful practice tool :bassist:

4. did you know Windows Media Player also can change the speed without changing pitch? and it's free....

Its under Enhancements, Play Speed settings.

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat