Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Halloween costumes for bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Alright people, let's hear some ideas for bands playing on Halloween, you know, coordinated costumes where everyone in the band is dressed in the same theme:

- Chippendales strippers, bow ties and no shirts (works great where at least one guy is fat and can pull off a Chris Farley . . .)

- men in drag, the gaudier the better.

- teletubbies (yeah, the band did it one year)

- chicks in robes with hair curlers and fuzzy slippers.

- Village People, 'nuff said.

What are some other ideas. Let's spread the wealth . . .

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    No offense but that is a lame costume. It's been done to death. To me nothing says, "I couldn't think of any cool costume" than a guy dressed in drag. In today's world, that has lost it's shock value. Go to San Francisco or New York and that is seen nightly.
    Steps off of soapbox

Here's some things I think are cool (and have been done):
    Catholic Priests - easy costume to do, has some shock and comedic value.
    Kiss - If you could pull it off, then awesome. If you are a non rock band, then even better.
    Elvises - cliche, but so is playing Mustang Sally. Audiences seem to get off on both. I was Elvis one year and it was funny because I am Asian.
    Devo - Great for audiences that are children of the 80's.
    Aliens - just cuz I think outer space ships is cool
    Col Sanders and Chickens - Have you singer dress like Col. Sanders, and have the rest of the musicians dress up like chickens. You can even paint the drumset to look like KFC buckets

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My blues band is a trio, and last year we were Dr Frankenstein (singer/guitar), Igor (drummer), and the Monster (yours truly). It was fun, and I didn't have a problem with the prosthetics I applied falling off.

I had to be careful with the grey/green facepaint and my bass, though. :bassist:

We have another Halloween gig this year, so I fully plan to steal something from this thread if I like it. :spit:

:D

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Last year I was Dr. Death. I wore scrubs and a cool green sparkly cape and a big metallic skull on my chest. I will probably wear that again because it's a different club and I can never think of anything good. The cape made me feel like Rick Wakeman, which was cool. My drummer wants us to be Kiss but I really can't stand the thought of that much makeup on my face.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The prevailing thought right now is for all the guys to dress as hooters girls, little orange shorts, hooters T's, perhaps tied in a knot . . .

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I was Gene Simmons last year. Well, a balding Gene(since I had recently cut my hair)

7. On our Halloween gig, the band will dress as indians. The Chippendales are out of the question for us, since we have a female singer.

*visualises female singer in bow tie and no shirt*

Well, that's not that bad of an idea after all! :smug:

8. ELVIS WONG!

Uh, I guess there are not many Elvis Gratton fans around here... :bag:

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Last year my band thought of 3 of us dressing up as catholic school boys, with either the drummer or singer being a priest. We thought it might be a little too offensive so we bailed on the idea.

you can always just all dress up in zoot suits. It doesn't even have to be halloween.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You guys should tour here. That is legal in Ontario. ;)

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're looking for a "theme", you might consider the following (some being a bit more traditional than others)...

KISS
    Devo
    Twinkies
    Founding Fathers (George, Ben, Thomas, @ John)
    Marilyn Mansons
    Marilyn Monroes
    Charles Mansons
    Madonna's kissing Britneys (split into two pairs)
    Led Zeppelin
    Light bulbs (of different sized and wattages)
    Characters from "Planet of the Apes"
    Nuns
    etc.

:D

12. I think I'm movin'. :D

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The key is finding something that's cool that you can be confortable in and move around for three hours. We were kicking around orange jailhouse jumpsuits. Comfy, simple and cheap.

14. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    we're either gonna be farm animals or priates, our holloween show isn't for sure yet though

15. what about ninjas? ninjas are cool.

16. ...or half as ninjas and half as pirates...

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The name of my last band was Blanket Ride. One uear we all wore mullet wigs and were Mullet Ride for the night. Or, you could all put on tight short shorts, knee & elcow pads, & a tard helmet and go as the "Special Ed Experience", Yaaaaaaaay !:D

19. we haven't done any actual dressing up like that, but I've been thinking about it for a while. COL. Sanders and the chickens sounds great.

but like, for metal, my band should all dress up old men. or actually, exactly like our grandpa's and we all invite our grandpa's to the show. let's see, I'd have to carry around a big gun all the time and have a bald cap and Diabetes. hmm
    sounds good to me!

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thrash, is Canada Heaven?