Hamberger adjustable sound post.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by chilensko, Sep 7, 2018.

1. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    I'm always tempted to try one of this sound post, seems that you can make very little variation of the length while is installed..
    But like always is money...€399.
    Any thoughts?

2. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    I have a hamberger in my italian bass and an Anima Nova in my Hill. They both respond and sound great, but I find the Hamberger to be quite fiddly to set up. Unlike the AN, it comes apart in three pieces and the whole magnet thing works well for cello and up, but not bass IMO. Adjusting tension makes a tremendous difference in a way a regular soundpost cannot do since you in a given spot can’t lower tension and bring it back up once past the sweetspot. You will probably find lateral adjustments less important once you have a sensible placement and work more with tension and north/south.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    gnypp45 likes this.
  3. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm just an amateur classical player, but I think it makes so much sense to have an adjustable soundpost even on my own bass. I need to ask my luthier if he's willing to install one.

wathaet likes this.
  4. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    It is far better than using the same post all year and IMO better than changing posts.
    I and several players I know with six figure basses are using these.

ColdEye likes this.
  5. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Hadn't ever thought of using a hamburger to adjust the soundpost.. think a cheese steak might work just as well?

BobKay and Adam Booker like this.
  6. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    If you have nothing to contribute, then why not just stay out of the thread?

7. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Sheesh, just thought I'd contribute a little humor, didn't mean to offend anyone

8. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm considering the Anima Nova. Do you have the adjustment tools and are you doing the adjustments yourself? I think that would be a major point. Do you develop a sense for when it's time to fine adjust the post height and in which direction?

9. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    I have the tools for both. As I travel a lot with the neck off, I have to be able to reset the post if it falls/moves. For experienced players, adjusting yourself is a huge point and will quickly make up for going twice a year to adjust or switch out summer/winter wood post.

gnypp45 likes this.
  10. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Contact C. Berglund or Tommy in Uppsala. If he contacts AN they will come up and show him how to set up their post.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    gnypp45 likes this.
  11. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!

12. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    If he wants, I can bring in my English bass so he can have a look.

gnypp45 likes this.
  13. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I have no first hand experience with any of the variable soundposts. But I have played with the idea recently, since this summer was so unusually dry that my bass at some point basically stopped working properly. That hand't really happened to me before. So that's what got me intrigued.

I know at least one guy who's just having it installed, and a luthier with some experience with them. Having tried Anima Nova on different basses, he reported the difference to be really huge especially arco (much more volume and better response), and of course, mileage varies from bass to bass. There were some basses that apparently didn't benefit as much of the Anima Nova as others. -The Anima Nova seems more expensive (isn't it 499 Euros?).

Best
    Sidecar

14. stanford ekholm

stanford ekholm

Apr 9, 2020
    installed an adjustable sound post the other day. Moving a post right and left is a kind of cheat to find the place where it fits best in terms of length (the distance between the plates decreases towards the rib), it will compromice the fitting since the top is arched. (hamberger has jointed ends, always 100% fit). Laterally, it should mirror the bass bar, ie center the bridge foot. Then you have to try with 2-3 sticks of similar length, whichever sounds best. You always need a shorter one during winter. You can avoid this hassel with an adjustable one. The distance down from the stable must be at most the diameter of the stick, at minimum the half. First tried these extremes, 10mm too 'tight' sound, 20mm too unfocused. Set it 15mm from the bridge, perfect. The post was now adjusted for 0 pressure, ie exactly as long as the distance between the plates. Not satisfied, lacked clarity and 'resistance' (plays only bowed). Turned it up 0.1 mm, the bass was transformed from a cigar box into a singing Pavarotti! Tried further 0.1 mm, too tight, turned down again.
    Chose Hamberger before Anima nova because of its clever solution of moving the post with magnets, you can see from the outside it’s position. The magnets also drags the post outwards for a perfect 0-pressure lenght. Dropped the post during installation, fished it up in a few seconds with the magnetic rod. Even easier to adjust, only requires one key against animas 2.
    During installation there is a step where you have to press the plate so that the ends get in contact. A little nervous to press on a 20000 bass, also chance you press too little, the stick will then end up too short. Better to tension the bass and then down tension it (the magnets on), this guarantees exact o-pressure.
    When changing strings, turn it up 0,1mm so it wont drop. Don’t forget to turn it down again.

So happy!

Earl and gnypp45 like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2022