hammer and pulloffs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Xroneroy, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Xroneroy

Jul 2, 2005
    Hello everyone,

i am just learning how to do hammers and pulloffs and i am haveing a really hard time learning both techniques i was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on things i could do to learn these.

any help is greatly Appreciated
  2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I taught myself hammer-ons and pull-offs by learning Guerilla Radio by Rage Against the Machine - simple E/A string 2nd fret jobs, and the beginning to Around the World by RHCP.

Apart from that, try searching for some lessons on google - I found one website, not sure I'm allowed to post the URL here, but it did the job for me. I'm sure there are some lessons here.

I also found that when I changed my freting hand's position, I got better... keep your fingers as straight as possible and bend at the wrist instead bending your fingers around the neck and touching it with your palm.

Just the way I learnt... nothing to say I'm right!
  3. I'm not sure quite what you mean by "bend at the wrist." You should always try to keep both wrists as straight as possible. Anything else can quickly lead to injury.
  4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Sorry, what I was trying to explain was basically what I said after - don't cup your fingers around the fretboard / neck - keep them straight. I suppose you're right - I don't bend my wrist at all when I think about it! Just keep it in the same position ;)
  5. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    For pulloffs, especially on the G string, sometimes it helps me to sort of pluck the string with my left hand as I'm pulling off the note.
  6. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    There's no real shortcut with this technique keep practicing. As you play more your hands will build up strength and it will be come easier.

For pull offs as was said it helps to "sort off pluck the string" with your fretting hand as you pull off

For example place your ring finger on 7th fret of the G string (the note D) and your ring on the 5th fret of the G string (the note C).

Now play the note and gently slide your ring finger off the g string completley off the fret board towards the floor keeping your index in place.

The note C should then sound by itself i.e. a pull off.

This is not the proper technique I'm only suggesting it to give you an idea of whats meant by "sort of plucking the string" with your fretting hand as you pull off

For Hammer ons try and get a clean sharp hit just behind the fret wire.

You can practice by hammering on and pulling off repeatedly by holding a note with your index finger and hammering on and off repeatedly with your middle finger one fret up then with your ring finger two frets up and then your little finger three frets up. You should be able to make notes sound with having to pluck any of the strings

You can mix and match your fingers also i.e. holding a note with your ring finger and hammer on and off with your little finger etc