Hammer ons

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mxbassman, Oct 16, 2005.

1. mxbassman

Sep 7, 2005
    North Dakota
    When I do hammer ons, theres always a loud clicking sound from the string hitting the fret...am I doing something wrong or is this normal considering I'm playing a cheap bass(GSR200)?
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm not sure...the mids/highs in your sound may bring out more of that 'click'. Try to use a lighter touch, more of a focused one.
  3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Is the 'clicking' coming through your amp or is it just happening acoustically? I've recently been working on the tapping stage 1 course through musicdojo, and I noticed my tapping sounds much 'cleaner' through an amp than it does acoustically (probably because tapping makes both parts of the string resonate).

Another suggestion might be to try the hammer-on both closer to the fret AND further away, and see if this makes things better. Good technique, to me at least, seems to be a produce of many small changes to how I play.
  4. i have noticed that i'm getting this as well.

Since it is acoustic i would suggest trying it with amplification. I did not hear this click when doing it so it must be something that is not picked up with the pickups.
  5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Yes I am having trouble with those as well...nothing a little viag...no wait you said HAMMER ons!

6. If the frets aren't level that might contribute to the sound, otherwise I suggest a softer touch. It's called a hammer on, but you don't always have to hammer it on :)