Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Handle end cap - same as a Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by webmonster, Jan 19, 2014.

  1. webmonster


    May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    I am doing some small cosmetic restoration of a NZ made amp head and matching 2x12 cabinet that I have happily owned for many years.
    Nothing cosmetic is instantly available 'off the shelf', so I have to delve a bit deeper and try and make some cunning plans...

    Here are some photos of the one remaining handle end cap from the speaker cab and some pics of the rest of the handle.

    Is it possible that Marshall end caps are the same, or can anyone make any suggestions?
    If I had a pair of them then I could send them off for re-chroming, but I've only got one.

    The handles are labelled 'DGBM' & 'Germany'.
  2. beans-on-toast

    beans-on-toast Supporting Member

    Aug 7, 2008
    Here is a place the sells the Marshall handles in chrome and gold. There are detailed pic and dimensions. The vintage Marshall looks like the dimensions are not as long as yours. But you can compare the numbers.

    If the length of the handle is the same, you can use a different replacement handle. They sell Ampeg replacement handles at fliptops.net.
  3. webmonster


    May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the links to the Marshall and Ampeg end caps.
    You are correct - the Marshall one is too short and the Ampeg ones have lugs at the bottom which won't fit.

    Any other suggestions gratefully accepted :)
  4. beans-on-toast

    beans-on-toast Supporting Member

    Aug 7, 2008
    I find that vintage reissue parts are available for big name amps that sold in large numbers but more obscure parts can be next to impossible to find other than sites such as ebay.

    It might help to find a musical instrument parts place in Germany and enquire if they have what you are looking for. The handle is so close to the Marshall one. If all else fails, I'd either replace all the handles with the one Marshall sells or have a metal shop build or adapt the Marshall one to your needs. That could get pretty expensive.
  5. webmonster


    May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    You're not wrong!
    NZ specific site is www.trademe.co.nz but Jansen spares rarely come up.

    One tip I got is that Jansen often used luggage/suitcase handles and sure enough I found the handle for the amp head on a pic of a suitcase: [​IMG]
    My amp's handle has the chrome cover (currently being re-chromed), but many amps have this missing.
    Even the corner protectors are a slightly different shape to the 'regular' ones e.g. from fliptops.net

    I've looked around a few luggage/suitcase repair sites, but nothing yet.
    I agree that the handle is very close to a Marshall one, so replacement is in the back of my mind if I have no other luck.

    The possibility of getting some made up is not completely silly. There are other Jansen enthusiasts in NZ, who might like replacement bits like this. Unfortunately there is no forum or website (yet) to co-ordinate this sort of thing.

    I have/am restoring a couple of slightly obscure British cars, so I'm getting used to this sort of thing :rolleyes:
  6. beans-on-toast

    beans-on-toast Supporting Member

    Aug 7, 2008
    That handle looks similar to the one used by Ampeg in 1963 on some of their amps. Searches of vintage suitcase parts places have not turned up an exact match.

    In the pic, the assembly in the foreground fits under the metal cover that the handle is attached to. The plastic gets brittle with time and breaks under the weight of the amp. Amps that still have then intact are rare.

    This company has a good selection but not the same one. I've suspected that the original Ampeg one came from Davies Moulding based on same vintage pics that I've seen. I've never been able to confirm this though.