1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Handmade Pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Joeymarshmallow, Feb 25, 2008.

1. So I posted this here because I figured y'all might know something about handmade (wooden) pickguards, and just about wood in general.

I'm currently modding my Squier and I made a pickguard out of birch plywood. It's fine except that when I put the stain on, the bottom horn developed a little warp as shown in the pictures.

The Real Question:

Can I just screw the pickguard on and hope it evens out, does the wood flex enough?

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it, but I don't want to ruin the pickguard because I made it with entirely hand tools and I'm quite fond of it.

Attached Files:

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    It should flatten out, although you *might* dampen the back a bit, then clamp it flat for a few days, just to see. Dampening the front side (with yout stain) may have caused it to swell a little, introducing the warp. Dampening the back might cause it to swell (in the opposite direction) and clamping it should help "encourage it" to straighten out.

That's a fine looking pickguard you've got there.

3. +1 man that is gorgeous. a little off the beaten path putting it on a p bass, but i dig it, a lot.....gives me ideas...i might be making one soon

4. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Shawn offered good advice on exactly what will get your pickguard back in shape. It's not a big deal, just make sure to keep weight on it after you add any moisture.

And only with hand tools? /golfclap

5. Thanks for the advice guys, and I also encourage anyone to make their own. It's simple and cost maybe $15 for all the materials.

6. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    thats really nice. now you've got me wondering what one would look like on my thunderbird :]

7. Great thread, working on the same thing myself. Not as far ahead as you, but here's the current pics.

Pup route isn't quite finished, unsanded, unstained. Did this one out of mahogany, not sure if i'll keep it, but I really like doing this stuff for fun.

Goes on a Greg Benett Fairlane (Samick)

Just thought I'd share.
    [​IMG]

8. that seems like a really fun and cheap way to add your own touch to a bass. I may consider trying this!

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    wow dude. nice job. hand made... even better! so are the edges angled? what bass is this going on to??? MORE PICS! MORE PICS:bassist:

10. call it a hunch but i think its going on some kind of precision bass

11. I didn't angle the edges cause I didn't have any tools to do it uniformly, I did round the edges by sanding them though. It's going on a Squier P-bass, my little project bass right now. Here's some pics that show it on the bass and with the new knobs I got.

Attached Files:

12. oh snap, that is one unique P bass (difficult to achieve IMO)

i like how it matches the fingerboard nicely

13. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Made one for a SX jazz. ended up not diggin' it, so its not on there anymore, but its around somewhere.

Untitled-2copy-1.

14. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    that looks great, i have a black squire P too and i cant stand the plain white pickguard...

15. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Just curious. Was it anything other than the looks that you didn't like?