Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hands Down Best Looking Fender IMO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danman, Mar 24, 2005.

1. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    This thing is beautiful. And I have never seen it before.

Anyone got any info on this, or do you think its a one of custom shop.

The headstock says Stu hamm. I never heard of this model.(though I have heard of Mr. hamm.)

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-3486.htm

danman

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Thats pretty awesome IMO , I wish I knew some more info on that model , I really like the pickup config. price doesnt seem to shaby either

3. ah, im an idiot. edited.

4. Its a Fender URGE II bass, designed w/ stu hamm. These are cool basses pretty fast neck and downsized bodies. The UrgeII is 34" scale w/ an active preamp. Its a great lead bass sounding instrument -just like stu wanted it to be.

Might want to do a search for urge basses. Just be aware its not a Urge I bass

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've never been to keen on the body shaping of the Urges, although the pickup config is a clever idea. Incidentally, I'm listening to Stu play trio with Frank Gambale and Steve Smith (the project's called GHS 3) right now, do you think he's using an Urge on the recording? His tone is okay, but not spectacular, particularly in the upper registers.

6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    what he said :bassist:

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Eh, to me looks like Fender is trying to be "hip" like Ibanez. I wanna try one out, though.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're great basses, and they sound even better played by Stu himself.

9. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York

Ibanez............Hip HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    they're alright... I'm glad that they are 34 inches atleast. The other 24 fret Urge basses are 32 inches.

I guess a 5'er would be cool in that JPJ pup set up.

11. Stu hamm has a custom UrgeII in a 5 string, but its not available to the general public.
    Yes Stu plays those basses on the records, he also uses a Kubicki.
    All the G3 work was done w/ urge basses
    IMO bass is a big compromise, its got a downsized body, smaller neck and uses weight saving tuners, and bridge. So they added an active preamp to dial in extra ooomph. But to me the preamp just makes it sound Hi-Fi, you hear more electronics than wood. And while the JPJ pickups are cool, they don't sound like a traditional J or P bass. The UrgeII noiseless p'ups are a big improvement over the UrgeI p'ups, but they still sound very different. I find the bass makes a decent P impressination, but does a less convincing job of a J bass, all three p'ups on are fuller, but lack alot of bottom.
    So its whatever you like to hear. I still use my UrgeI, and its an amazingly fast playing bass, great for slap, and any type of gymastics, but for filling up the bottom it needs some help.
    However it might be just want your looking for
    YMMV