1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hard Rock Bass Recording Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flavio Echart, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Flavio Echart

Flavio Echart

May 22, 2017
    Hi, as a really unexperienced bass player, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic.

I'm a guitar player that writes and records songs, and rarely gigs. About a year ago I got an Epi TB Classic IV Pro (the one with Gibson pickups) and a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal, and started experimenting recording my own bass lines. Then I bought a a 500W Ashdown RM Evo head and a RM 4x10 cab. I also have a DSM Noisemaker Drivemaker pedal.

It's been lots of fun recording different tracks and working on them, Clean DI, Distorted DI, and mic'ed. But now I'm wondering if this setup is overkill for my needs... If I sell it I can get extra cash for other stuff...

I play 80s Hard Rock tunes mostly, and I like a classic Rock overdriven sound (kinda Nikki and Duff style). I also play with a pick 100%

Do you think I could just go DI and use plugins, or DI + VT Bass, etc.? Or could I benefit from a small combo just for recording? Will the mic'ed tone add a nice extra to the tone? In that case, and taking into account the TB bass, would you suggest a 12 or 15" speaker?

Thanks!

2. No one here can tell you if you will be as happy with DI +plugins, etc as you are with your current setup. Well, they might tell you, but they would be wrong 50% of the time. Only you will know this, and only after you have changed your setup.

You don't mention your recording equipment; if you can record using only your bass, give it a try. Then try with some free plugins. I'd do this before I sold anything, or bought anything. Your gear will only bring a fraction of its purchase price; if you end up spending much of that to purchase a new DI or plugins all you're gaining is the space where your amp used to sit.

On the other hand, if you are happy with your current equipment, you are ahead of the game. People can spend years buying and selling gear chasing a sound they have in their head.