1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hardcore Breakdowns... Fingerstyle?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Blade3dge, May 2, 2010.

1. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    I've been playing hardcore/punk music for a while now relying mainly on a two finger style and recently picking up a bit of 3 fingers, however I've never really tackled any songs with incredibly fast paced breakdowns.

EG: (one I'm working on atm)

The problem is picks annoy the hell out of me, I'd like to keep using my fingers and having a broken thumb throws out any traditional style of even holding a pick (thankfully it doesnt affect my slap much) which makes learning harder.

What I do at the moment is the slapping triplet style of slap-hammeron-slap for the breakdowns. For example where a guitar may play seven notes I'll play triplet-pause triplet. It adds an intense sound but it isn't relevent to every situation so what I want to ask is this:

What techniques can I work into my playing style to play this style of music using my hands? Demo videos of people doing it without a pick is also helpful, anything really.

2. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Check out a guy named Steve Harris. He is in a band call Iron Maiden, perhaps you've heard of them.

3. just keep working on the 3 finger technique.

you'll get faster over time with it

4. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Not to rain on your parade, but A Day To Remember is NOT hardcore. Not remotely near it, at all.

If you want hardcore.. listen to Fugazi - Repeater, Bad Brains - Bad Brains, Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come, Gallows - Grey Britain, and Converge - Jane Doe, for beginners.

For your technique question, I've played in multiple genres. Funk, punk, hardcore, black metal, pop, 80's rock, reggae. Honestly, I've found that knowing many genres helped widen how I can use my fingers when it comes to speed. Learn a bit of fast paced funk, or Jaco if you want to give your fingers a hard work out. Attaining speed is all practice.

5. Dude nothing beats busting out the ol metronome and practicing Slow of course first then speeding up

6. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    I never said they were I just said it's the song I'm working on. My issue with playing bands like A Day To Remember is the hardcore influence in the songs.

7. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Im probably going to keep the 3 finger technique almost entirely for breakdowns so with this in mind should I try RMIRMIRM or RMIMRMIM?

Any other interesting techniques?

8. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Naturally assumed that you thought they were hardcore because you said you've been playing it for a while.

Like the others said, metronome, slow > fast, different time signatures, practice. No way to cut it.

Also, look up on Steve DiGiorgio's 3-finger technique. Very helpful.

9. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    I've been playing punk and hardcore music for a bit yeah but the band I've joined has a huge ADTR influence and to be honest love them ADTR as a band but I've avoided breakdowns for so long it's killing me to try and pick this stuff up quickly. Will look it up though.

10. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I think I have the PDF file hanging around somewhere.. PM me your email address and I'll email you it.

11. I have been playing in hardcore punk bands since the early 90's and my suggestion is this: use any tool that can make you a better bass player. If some songs require you to use a pick then do so. Don't think of using a pick as selling out. Think of it as another tool in your arsenal. I grew up on the Cro-Mags and all that great music; and a lot of it was played with a pick. I know somebody mentioned Fugazi ;:bassist:one heck of a bassist and guess what he uses a pick. I play with a pick and my fingers depending on the song.

12. I've had the most luck going RMIRMIRMIRMI.

It's all about practice though.

13. I find this to be the most natural way to work. If you were to put your hand flat on your desk and tap your fingers...most folks would tap from pinky through pointer

Listening to the OPs example...I'd be doing a little finger shuffling, mixing a two finger with a three finger pattern in the breakdown at 1:59. Playing the first two notes of the bar M-I, the quick notes in RMI as needed always returning to the R at the start of the quick notes regardless of what finger the previous part stopped on.

But that's just me. :)

14. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    so i saw a youtube vid of that billy sheehan guy and for fast 16th note playing he played RMIRMIRM but would accentuate every 4th note. so you would rotate which finger plucked hardest. try out all different techniques and see what works.

15. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    this was the first full a day to remember song i've ever listened to... wow.

16. I think the confusion is because he added punk, and it's definitely not hardcore punk. But this genre is often just referred to as 'hardcore' or 'hardcore metal', I don't know why but that's what they're called sometimes. I just prefer to call it screamo.

Anyways. Three fingers can handle those parts easily. Try to visualize ways that the sound is produced, this helps for most things. For me to get three finger triplets I tend to associate it with rolling your fingers on a table, or the sound of galloping horses. Try rolling your fingers on a table, you'll find that it requires almost no effort, it's a very natural movement, it's the same movement when applied to the bass.

17. Most of the circles I'm in "Hardcore" and "Hardcore punk" are one and the same. But again, that might just be my circles.

Let's have a tune . . . a real dancable number!

18. I love ADTR. Funny how people get all pissed when bands like that and the word "hardcore" are used in the same sentence.

19. I've always viewed ADTR as post-hardcore/pop-punk. Sort of a mix of Enter Shikari (minus the techno aspect) and Blink 182?

Anywho, that breakdown is perfectly achievable using the standard two-fingers. Of course if you want to learn three-finger, go for it :bassist:

20. I wouldn't say pissed. But it confuses genres!

It's similar to suggesting Iron Maiden are classic rock.
    Like people confusing funk and jazz etc.

It should just do what it says on the tin.

I hear hardcore, I expect hardcore punk or some dance beats!