1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hardware for using iPad as a pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by static0verdrive, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

My friend has an iPad and a crazy Line 6 Sonic Port VX mic that doubles as the interface for plugging in his guitar. He's able to use his iPad for all his "pedals" and still output his sound to his amp. I'd like to recommend this type of setup to my bro-in-law because he also has an iPad (but no effects yet besides what's built into his cheap amp), but I think the Sonic Port VX might be overkill.

We're starting to record now that I'm better setup for it, but rather than apply guitar amps & effects to his clean signal using GarageBand after we've recorded, it would be nice if he could control his own tone & effects from his iPad.

What interface do you know of (besides the Line 6 mic thing mentioned above - again, probably overkill for this guy) that would allow him to plug his guitar into his iPad, but also allow the processed signal with effects to be sent to the amp? (I already have a preamp with 2 outs so I can send his sound to my mac at the same time as to his amp).

Two noteworthy interfaces I found were the Apogee JAM and iRig2 - I'm sure they'll let you use the iPad but anyone know if we could get the processed signal to an amp from either of them?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

There's the old version Line 6 Sonic Port without the built in microphone.

IMO, it's hard to beat for the price with all of the input and output options that the Apogee Jam units don't have.

EDIT:

You can send signal out from the headphone jack when using any device that plugs into the iPad data/ charging port. It's not ideal since it's not line level, but it's how lots of guys make it work.

3. Thanks for the info guys. That's a crazy long thread (41 pages... I'm a pages few in so far, just 721 messages to go!) but it's obviously mostly about bass. I'll assume it will be the same for guitar for the most part, as that's what my bro-in-law plays. They all sounds great so far, I just need to make sure the iPad will be getting power and that the processed signal with effects will make it from the iPad to both my mac and his amp.

4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Sending power to the iPad is not something the smaller interfaces can do. They take the place of the charging port and are unable to power the iPad while using.

5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    My buddy has a Digitech iPB-10 and it works great.

6. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    FocusRite iTrack Dock.