Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harley Benton 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prof_nutbutter, Jul 7, 2005.

1. prof_nutbutter

prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    Germany
    hey guys,
    i really think about purchasing this Harley Benton
    HBB600TBK bass. has anyone of you ever played it? got any experiences to tell? well, in general 6 string basses caught my eye and this one is well cheap and i also read some reviews and it's got to be very versatile.
    need help!!!!

prof

2. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    I got one abuot year ago... Well, i sold it after 2months after i got it... Worst Pickups i have ever heard! totally crap! always sounded very muddy :scowl: and it didn't play very well... but it is a good bass if you want just test 6-stringer before you buy a real 6-string bass :oops:

3. Freddie Fumble

Freddie Fumble

Jul 6, 2005
    The basses are good for the money on paper but if your buying from thomann it’s “hit n miss”, the quality control is terrible, I visited the store in Germany and out of the 15 Harley Benton 6 string basses I tried only one was playable.

4. well its been 5 or six months, has anyone any more to add to this thread?
    i want one!

5. Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Jul 21, 2005
    UK
    yeah so do i, i liked the idea of a 6 string bass for a while but the C string is putting me off, my band plays a lot of punky stuff so bottom strings are used all the time, im just wodering if it will get in the way, now B string is more than useful :D i would rather have another top string on top of B instead of C though, the lower the better, right? :)

this bass costs £114 from where im going to get it from, seems too good of a value ofr the money. :S

6. http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_harley_benton_hbb6000_6string_ebass_prodinfo.html?sn=6afd8ff43d409bff8b80fb5a8a13ac5b
    [​IMG]

this thing?

im largly considering buying one.. £238.. i guess you have to be lucky, and if the pickups are muddy, as long as the rest of the bass is good, i'd buy new pickups..

Edit: nope, you mean another model...
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_harley_benton_hbb600tbk_6string_ebass_prodinfo.html#fpix
    that looks good too..

EDIT 2: Waah, if you click on the zoomable picture of that one (HBB600) it reveals that to tune the B and C strings, you'd have to turn them the other way (annoyance..)

7. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    With a name like nut butter, does it matter what kind of bass you play? You must be SO COOL!! The kids in your class must drool when you speak of Bass Greatness! Wield that AXE proudly!

8. John Hogan

John Hogan

Sep 13, 2014
    Leicester UK
    I've had one of these basses for about 8 years now. They arent too bad (or maybe I dropped lucky). Quite easy to adapt from 4 to 6 strings (surprisingly so) but there are a few pitfalls. 1, It's heavy 2, It's damn long (I tend to play sitting down as the headstock in somewhere in the next Zipcode) and 3, the most irriating thing of all is that there is no bypass of the actives. If the battery goes dead, you're screwed, 4, The battery rattles around inside the body so you have to pack it with something and 5, the jack socket has a habit of working loose. All that aside, for just over £100 GBP you're getting a 6 string bass that looks nice, stays in tune and if you want to just play with the concept of going big to see if it suits you, you can't really grumble too much. Just noticed a comment that you have to tune B and C the wrong way, not so.

9. Hi.

:thumbsup:

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Welcome to TalkBass John Hogan.

I have to say that I do agree more with Your review of the said bass than I do with most of the other posters, mine's been very good one for the money.

The HBB6000 I later bought has been better and seen more action though ;).

Regards
    Sam