Harley Benton MP5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I should not have checked this out! This is a sweet poor man’s Sandberg! For about $360, I may have to buy one! The humbucker is not too bad at getting the Stingray sound solo too!

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    https://youtu.be/kBtFQA0FbXY

It is interesting, some reviewers say watch out for the preamp which cannot handle the pickups. Two say watch out for the bridge humbucker. I know this a more premium budget bass (I know, oxymoron,) but there is always some luck of the draw with cheaper basses.

Eli_Kyiv and Peter Torning like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Of course, Julie makes them all sound great!:bassist:

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Yeah QC in value basses can be hit or miss. In another thread on these, someone found out that instead of the advertised Alnico pups, theirs had ceramics. After reading that thread I looked at mine and realized it has an Alnico in the neck and a ceramic at the bridge, go figure.

But I will say this, the ceramic bridge pup is a good match for the Alnico neck pup. Then again, I have done Alnico neck, ceramic bridge mods on some of my non-bass guitars, so maybe it's just a thing for me! LOL

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi Doc,

Speaking as some who owns 3 of these basses, I'd recommend the Alder bodied MP-5EB (Ebony board) over the MN (Maple Neck) if you are looking to get the closest approximation possible to a Stingray-ish MM sound between these 2 Enhanced Series models.

IME, the Ebony board really enhances the "string" tone with shimmery highs more so than the Maple version. It's got a top end sweetness that the MP-5MN can <almost> reach, but not quite.

But then again, the MN gets a great growly traditional tone that the Ebony version can't quite nail due to it's slightly more modern top end richness. The two models are wonderful compliments to each other.

Harley-Benton-Enhanced-Series-4-2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those are two sweet basses. When folks stop dropping like flies, when need to have another get together.:bassist:

CatchaCuda and stingray69 like this.
  7. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks, and yes - a get together would be great. :thumbsup:

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Oh no! So, you're telling me, I need to get yet another one? :jawdrop:

IMGP4638a.jpg

Ampslut and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. vromr

vromr

Dec 24, 2020
    My MP5MN has always sounded muddy and bland.
    What are some recommended pickup and preamp combinations to reach, for example, a tone such as this:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I'm glad this got bumped. Can any of the owners of the 5s please tell me the bridge string spacing, specifically the MP5 if it's different? Cheers.

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    What a lovely girl! ↑ ↑

Zombie thread but according to those videos and the specs those HB basses are quite cool.

12. vromr

vromr

Dec 24, 2020
    I measured 3/4in between each string at the bridge on the MP5-MN.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thank you, much appreciated.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021