1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmonics

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by paperbag1213, Mar 13, 2010.

1. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
  2. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    He is doing artificial harmonics. He is stopping the string with his thumb, then lightly touching the string with his third finger. The most common ones I have come across are fourths and fifths. If you do a fifth (ex. + on G and 3 on D) then it will take the top note up one octave. But say you did a fourth (+ on A and 3 on D) then the bottom note will go up two octaves. There are other ones you will run across, but I don’t have experience with other intervals.

The concept is changing the length of the string. String length is measured from stopped point to stopped point (typically from the nut to the bridge). But, every time you put your finger down the string length changes because it is now your finger instead of the nut that would be the measuring point. This moves the location of all the harmonics.

Ex. If you put your first finger on the first A on the G string, theoretically (assuming you have a giant ass hand, or a third hand,… or I guess a capo) you will no longer have a middle G harmonic. You will gain a “middle” A harmonic that will be located over the A that is just above the normal middle G.

3. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wow that was very detailed, thank you
    I'll be sure to try it

4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I've seen this clip loads but it always makes me smile. Amazing.

5. irbassist

irbassist

Jun 17, 2009
    Watch the conductor. when they show him he is just laughing the whole time. hahaha!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020