1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke Kilo Amplifier Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hawaii Islander, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I checked using the forum search before posting. The amp had a brief mention; most of the one thread were arguments over the weight of the new Hydrive combos and cabs.

The new Hartke Kilo is a hybrid 2x500 watt (1000 watt bridged) head, selling for about $1000.00 USD. I think it only handles down to 4-ohm minimum impedance. Could be wrong on that, but I didn't see anything to the contrary on their site.

It looks good, but I haven't been able to find any sound samples or video demos yet.

Did anyone see it at this year's NAMM?

Here's a link with pics and description:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKKILO

2. I've been looking all over the interwebs for reviews and haven't been able to find much. No demos... nothing. It's gotten consistently high ratings, but I haven't seen reviews.

I'm getting a new rig this month and I would go for it and just try the kilo but I know the manager at a local music store and *he* told me that there have been problems with the kilos and told me to avoid it.

If anyone has actually played this amp or purchased it, please post a review!

3. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Carvin BX1500. Bi amp like the Kilo that can do 2 Ohm per amp or bridged at 1500W at 4 Ohms.................. and much friendlier on the checkbook.

4. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Brother Michael,

That's funny...your dealer must be a psychic, or full of it, because we have not produced a single Kilo amplifier yet. The Kilo is ready, but there are a lot of considerations that go into the launch of any product and timing is everything, especially in a soft economy. The Kilo will be comimg soon but right now our LH amplifiers are dominating in the market place because they are the right product, at the right price, at the right time. People don't have a lot of money to spend these days so price and quality matter more than ever...to everyone, everywhere.

I hope that helps..

If you would like to know more you are most welcome to call me anytime 201-680-8153 cell. Thanks so much for considering Hartke!

BassKees likes this.
  5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Kilo's probably getting retrofitted with an SMPS and class D amp if I had to guess because there is no way in hell anyone is gonna pay 1000 bucks for a 30lb Hartke at this point. Especially considering Carvin offers the same features in a 10lb package @ 629 :)

Here's hoping I'm right on that.

6. Personally cant wait to see a Kilo... and try one at that! Like my GBE 1200 but its lacking a little oompf in the low end department.

If its as good of an amp as the LH 1000 but has all the more features.... I think Id pay $1000 for it

7. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Bump for looking forward to demo on a KILO

8. Hello, is Larry in the house?? We want Kilo!!! (New bass amp wouldnt be bad either haha)

9. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    I love my Laney NXT400, 13 tubes 400w of all valve power with 8 x KT88's (I have to admit I retrofitted this beast with NO$ tubes tho) , but at 90 ****** lbs. it will put a hurtin on ya.

I ride the new Carvin B-2000 as my back-up unit (also retrofitted with an NOS 12AX7) and for the weight/power and snappy tone it's a damn nice package, but something about this KILO is getting my interest.
    And if it has 3 tubes, class D and the VXL Attack built in, lawdy lawdy lawdy.....Larry's gonna give me GAS

10. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player G-B-W : https://www.reverbnation.com/gbw1

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Any new info on the Kilo yet?? Anyone tried one??

11. Sorry man, I have to respectively disagree. I would totally buy a 30lb Hartke at this point. It's still lighter than an SVT and has a more flexible front end. I use mostly rack gear for my organization and to me the only thing missing from this amp is a built in tuner. Carvin also does not offer a switchable overdrive.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i lugged 30 lb amps for 10 years and thought i was giving myself a break.

13. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I think that I got a lemon Mesa Titan made in the last production run. The music store let me use a older model silver faced Titan until my new one was done being made and I can't get my new Black faced Titan to sound as good as that one sounded. Plus with my Black faced when I turn it on in Standby it made an electrical crackiling noise that would make my speakers jump , and the silver faced never did that - it was dead quite when in standby. I took it to the music store to be repaired and got it back this Saturday and used it at a gig that night and there seemed to be much more hiss than normal out of my tweeter on my PH412 cabinet. I'm getting ready to tell the music store to take it back and I'm done with it. I've been to Milwaukee 4 out of the last 6 weeks over this dang amp and its about a 7 1/2 round trip. That's why I'm looking into these newer Hartke. I've always been curious about Hartkes (even the older models back in the day) , but always ended up going a different direction for some reason. I was a newer Hartke rig at the music store last time down and it looked pretty interesting. Victor wooten actually played through it at a clinic a couple weeks earlier. I just don't know what to do at this point. :confused:

14. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Ohh ya - I was going to trade the Black faced in for the silver faced a couple of weeks ago because that one worked better for me. I went down to trade the black face in for the silver face and decided I to play through the silver faced before I took it home because I seem to have bad luck. Good thing that I did because it made a terrible humming sound that it didn't make when I brought it back. I don't know what happened to it the two weeks it was back at the store , but it was messed up for sure. Even their amp tech couldn't figure it out. That was a wasted trip for sure.:mad:

15. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Billy Sheehan got one. Search UGoog (you-tube) for his latest vid and you will see him playing it.

But I've got to say... this head has been on back order with most stores for the last 3 or more YEARS!! I have now gotten to the point of screw it! I already got my amp. SWR SM won out for me! Of course I got one free from our management.

16. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I saw Billy Sheehan's video with the new head (he didn't play through it though). This thread is so old I almost didn't recognize my own writing. :D

17. Bump because I might actually be interested in getting one of these. Any new news on the Kilo?

18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Two LH500 = Kilo

19. Except for built in distortion, driveable 3 tube front end, compresser, 10 band eq........

20. jesuskno

jesuskno

Jun 7, 2010
    Spain
    I have found a good review.
    German language but the sounds are very good.

Hartke Kilo - YouTube

This week I'll be able to compare a kilo with a svt4
    This summer I want to change the stack and I'm between these two options.