1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke, markbass, ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 420nyukkafoshiz, May 21, 2011.

1. 420nyukkafoshiz

420nyukkafoshiz

May 16, 2011
    NJ
    Which brand is better? I play a musicman bongo and am looking for a new amp to play with. I have around 400$ to spend but can stretch another hundred if need be. Lay down some knowledge on me

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    For $400-$500 the best you're going to do is a Hartke rig, and that's even if you decide to buy used. I'd honestly consider waiting until you have $800 before you buy anything.

But if you're in need for something right now you can probably get a, Ampeg combo with a 15in speaker for around $300-$400 used, but it definitely won't cover every gig or situation.

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    If you live in NJ it's gotta be Hartke. Geez, it's gotta be.

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean about better.
    Ampegs in that price range don't do anything for me personally.
    A Hartke will definitely make your cash stretch a little more.
    There are numerous MarkBass amps that you could find used at that price range.

However, this isn't really about my opinions, it's about what works for you. Have you tried out any of these amps? If not, I highly suggest that you do. We can tell you all day about which amp is the one that we like more than the others, or which one you should be buying. Back in reality, you need to make the decision based on what suits you best. Are you trying to emulate the rig of some other bassist? Are you looking for an amp that has a high power output? Are you looking for an amp that has a specific type of EQ/coloration? Are you looking for a head/combo/rack head/micro head?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    all killer brands...i've been an ampeg dude for decades, but i used to own a markbass, and i like what i've been seeing out of hartke lately, too. ampeg has a killer new head called the portaflex pf500 that costs $400 that is very sweet. but all those brands are readily available at most stores and you should try them out for yourself and make up your own mind.

6. I had the ampeg pf350 and ended up sending it back just didn't groove with me. It didn't have a bad sound just not quite "my sound" but a nice feeling piece well made IMO. There's a mega thread on the portaflex amps if your interested so you can find out if it's the sound you want since you left put your personal tone goals.

Now I did just buy a used markbass LM2 an I'm still in awe over it's sound and for the price these can be had on the classifieds it's almost worth the blind sound unheard purchase. I did and well worth the low cost and it would be easy to resale if you done like it.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the pf350 requires a little eqing to get it happening. i always have to cut treble and boost lows and mids slightly.

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004