1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hartke VS laney

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by therex, Sep 10, 2008.

1. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i am going for a new amp soon, and right now i have this 2 choises since they are nice amps IMO, but i would like some feedback on the amps
    first amp
    Laney RB4
    http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=RB4
    i really like 160 watts of power, but i am sure of the clarity of the sound, i tried and a laney RB1 and it had a really trebly tone, but it might be due the 8" speaker
    Hartke A100
    http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1672
    seems like a nice amp but i am worried about the low end that i love, i now it has nice highs and mids, not sure about lows so any info?

i cant try the amps unless i am with the will of buy so it is hard to me to decide, i will try them both if i can but some info would be great

BTW the bass is a VM p bass with QP pups and gotoh 201 bridge, this amp is never ever going to be used for gigging(unless its a really small gig that doesnt require the big amp)

2. Andrew2

Andrew2

Jul 23, 2008
    This Hartke has aluminium speaker which means the sound will be a lot of different than paper cone of Laney. Buy a combo which sound you will like more.

3. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Get the one with the most watts. Just don't expect too much gut-shaking low end from a small combo amp.

4. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I would go with the Laney.

5. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    I have an old Hartke 15" combo. It's rated at 140 watts, but it's beastly loud. It can power a stack almost as loud as my 800RB. No experience with any other Hartke amps, this one could just have a magic defect :D.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Between those two, I'd go for the Laney. More wattage, paper speaker. Both should put out a fairly big sound but the Laney is more of what I like in an amp than the Hartke.

7. I've got a Hartke combo I bought as a smaller, more portable alternative to my 4x10 and 15x cabs. At the time, I was comparing SWR, GK, and the Hartke (no laney). The Hartke blew both other amps away. The tone is very versatile and though it's only rated at 120watts, was WAY louder than the GK. Not that you're looking for a GK but maybe this will give you something to compare it to volume wise.

I love my Hartke . It sounds so good with both my Fender and Music Man, it has become my only stage amp. The only thing I don't like about it, is that the D.I. is pre e.q only, but I use a Sans Amp D.I. anyway so thats not a big problem.

Seriously check out the Hartke.
    This is the one I have. http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=29&brandID=3

8. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i'd go laney based on my experiences with the RB1

9. laney

10. i have tried both i'd rather go for the hartke and yeah the lows are tight and nice

11. I owned a Laney RB4 until recently and it was a great combo. I wouldnt gig it (though I know of people who have and do) but as a practice/jam combo its great. I could get lovely tones from it, and had many compliments from people about my sound which I put down to the amp just as much as I do to anything else in most cases.

It has a reaaaally big low end thanks to the 15" driver but it's not muddy as some here seem to suggest. I found it to give a very nice old school thumpy tone as well as being able to deliver more modern mid focused sounds.

I've never played a hartke but they seem like a similar breed to the laney in terms of quality and price point.

If its low end youre after the Laney is for the win I think, dont worry about its clarity as you can dial in a little low mids and you're there.

IME :)

12. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i may have the chance to try them both in a store in 2 weeks
    i hope they let me try their amps

13. Im sure if you make it obvious you're a buyer you'll have no problem trying.

Some stores only let you try if you buy, total bullcrap but w/e :/

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I once went to a store like that. They're closed up now. I was glad to see it happen and did whatever I could to make it happen.

15. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    hey guys i tried an ampeg BA115 today, i have to say i could get nice tone out of it, but find one could ve very hard, and i have yet to try the laney and the harkte
    BTW wich will have a more vintage tone? the laney or the hartke?, i really enjoyed the 2 omde of the ampeg i am looking for something similar but maybe louder, and with more tone shapping in the EQ so right now i am wanting the laney, but as always i must try

16. Rob Webber

Rob Webber

Jul 21, 2008
    Caerphilly, UK
    I've got the RB8, similar design but with 300 watts output. The on-board graphic EQ is one of the best I've come across and the 15" driver really throws out a nice punchy defined sound. The only drawback is that it weighs a tonne but it fits in my car which was one of the reasons for choosing a combo.

If you gig it you will need an extension cab as it just doesn't fill a room on it's own, unless you have PA support of course, but 160 watts is enough to drive a 15" for practice sessions and small gigs.

I've played through a couple of Hartke rigs and they have sounded great, don't have any experience with their combo's though.

17. I posted in favor of Hartke. I wouldn't call it a vintage tone by any means though. You can definately E.Q. however you want but vintage and Hartke don't seem to be synonymous...IMO. I would say the Hartke has more of a "modern" tone. You can get lots of bottom and punch and it's very loud for its size/wattage.

18. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Everything I play is Hartke. Trust me, the low end is definitely there.