hartke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazz, Sep 18, 2006.

1. what kind of sound do hartke cabs produce particularly the ones in the VX series, in general/stereotypicaly?

2. I'm not familiar with VX series. My experience with Hartke has always been slightly scooped with a heavier emphasis on a loose low end. I've always found it easier for a Hartke or Peavy cab that is pushed to get that harsher old school gritty breakup tone. *shrug*

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Weird. This is pretty much diamterically opposed to my experiences. The Hartke rig that I used for about 7 or so years (3500 MOSFET head, 115" + 5" tweeter both aluminum cones, and a 410XL also aluminum cones) was VERY mid punchy. I frequently had to scoop the mids not to attain a scooped tone, but to flatten out that rig. It also stayed pretty clean in the sense that there was none of that old school "my head/cab is on the verge of breaking up" thing going on at all either. If I farted out the speakers it was pretty much clean to flatulence in nothing flat without a lot of warning stress sound before hand. Of course, this was with the aluminum coned XL series and not the cones like on the VX's. I have not cared for any Hartke lines other than the XL series personally. I actually think that the 4.5XL is a pretty decent low budget cab that gets needlessly maligned.

Unatratnag, with what series of cabs did you experience the scooped sound?

4. B series, kickback HS, and various others i've heard through stores/live gigs. Cheers.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't no about VX specifically, is that the newer one with paper cone speakers? Anyway, I use a kickback 15 for practice alot (aluminum cone) and while it doesn't have the deep low end of a traditional 15, partly because it's in a small cab, it works great and has a lot of mid-punch and can get very bright for no tweeter. Mine's reliable and sounds good for what it is, wouldn't pay the price for a new one though, got mine used and there's a lot of other good stuff out there in that price range. I think most the stories about hartke reliability come from the 3500 series, I had one of those and although it sounded good while it lasted (on the tube pre side only) it didn't last long.

6. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    My experience is simular to that of KAEL. The 4.5XL has been good to me I also use the 2.5XL over a 115XL. I think those are the only Hartke cabs worth buying. I`m not at all familiar with the paper cone models. 4.5 XL deep, with lots of punch but it weighs 100LBS.

7. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    i have the paper cones, one 410 and as of this morning a 115, i love them both, i have no experience of mid boosts or scoops, i like the mids, but not too much but i have mids on my head bout 3 o clock so id say the cabs make the mids pretty flat. they sound fantastic, but i wouldnt use the 410 without the 115 as the 410 doesnt have fantastic lo-end.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021