Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever heard of a Stud Bass EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by BassGuyNL, Sep 22, 2005.

1. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Has anyone evere heard of this bass? Is it any good?
    There's one for sale on a Dutch auction website for 1250 euros.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Can you give us the link so we can see it, please?

3. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    This is a stick bass made in Japan. There are 2 models, a black one and a red one which is a little more expensive with a better magnetic pickup. They play pretty ok, but are very radical in design. No scroll/headstock, the ball ends of the strings attach to the back of the stump they have instead of a scroll, and the tuners are at the bottom of the bass. One thing to be concerned about, is that the fingerboard is stained maple on the better model, and I'm not sure, but I think the lower model is actually without a fb, just carved out of one solid piece of wood. If you wear it out, then what happens? However, they are super-portable.

Anyway, all the information about the bass is here at the STK website:

http://www.stk-co.com/music/StudB-Excel/ENGL.html

If it's not too late, I'll pass through the neighbourhood where a shop I know has one on Monday or Tuesday, if there's anything you want to examine.

Oh, they sell for about 126000 to 140000 yen in Japan, list being 155000. If that helps.

Brent

4. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the info.

The pictures on the website are much better than the one in the add. By the way, it's the black model. According to the add, the board is "painted alder". Those P-bass like pickups are not very promising, either.

I suppose I'll be better off savin' up for something better. Thanks again.