1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has your brain changed with music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassOfDiamonds, Jul 19, 2012.

1. I just read somewhere that learning a musical instrument can improve certain cognitive functions, such as spatial skills, working memory, etc.

Have you found this true in your experience? Or is this mainly for kids and/or people who study formal music theory?

If this is true, yet another excuse for me to be addicted to bass. (The bug has bitten me. I don't think I've ever been so obsessed with something in my life, lol. :bag:)

2. I'd like to think so, if only my perception of musical/ rhythmic things. A couple days ago I discovered the faucet of my bathroom is a perfect metronome: you can count to 4 and a drop of water will always fall in 1. Of course, accoplishing that requires some skills in keeping time musically.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure if 2-3 years of playing music is enough to distinctly alter cognitive processes. 20-30 years, I don't have a doubt.

3. GypsyMan

GypsyMan

Jun 30, 2011
    Texas
    I think playing BASS helps my personality. It calms me down. I get that quiet time. It helps with my interaction with people. I noticed that recently. When an arguement breaks out over silly stuff, I let it go.

I had not been playing my BASS for a while. Got busy etc.
    It was easier to pull me into arguements.

Then I picked up my BASS one night and practiced. I went to a Jam session with some coworkers. Now I'm back to center. When people start talking nonsense(Usually politics) I just don't join in.

Yeah, playing music is a type of therapy, and changes your mind.
    When you get to that place, That calmness helps in all other areas of your life.

4. That sounds great....I'm pretty bad when it comes to being a Type A, fiery control freak at times. For some reason, practicing my bass makes me zen, even when frustrated with mistakes. Usually with most things, I just get impatient and irritable when I stumble with something.

However, I don't think it'll make me any less fired up about politics. That's just my DNA, lol.

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You realize, of course, that as a scientist you are now talking to your own lab mice.

This does not look good for the theory.

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    The brain lights up in both hemisphere's when we play music according to MRI scans.

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, just speaking from my own personal experience. I started playing bass when I was a teenager. I was young and reckless then, even foolish at times. Since taking up the bass, I have not only graduated high school, but earned two college degrees and several educational certificates in a wide variety of subjects. I'm 41 now and I can say that I'm definitely a much smarter person now than I was before I started playing bass.

8. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    bass makes you smarter.
    guitar makes you vain.
    drums makes you dumb.
    lead singing makes you a deuche nozzle.

True story.

9. I'm aware this is sarcasm, but it reminds me - why are drummers stereotyped as dumb? Seems like having to be able to figure out and create the perfect blend of complex rhythm would require a reasonable IQ.

10. Yeah, most definitely it is!

11. What happens if you've held down all theses positions in a band at one point or another? Some times more than one at a time?

12. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

I think this theory would apply to kids and younger folks whos brain is still in the developing stages.

I didnt learn to read (music) until I was 36, i think. I studied some theory shortly after that, and Im sure it had little or no effect on any cognitive functions. ime.

But interesting concept, nonetheless.

edit: good grief. i misread the OP's statement. Its got nothing to do with reading or musical theory!! LMAO. So,, nvm.....

13. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Yes, over the years my brain has definitely gotten much softer!

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the only thing i've noticed since taking up the bass,...

i'm way more anti-social. while friends are partying and such, i'm practicing/playing. they brag about the great time they had and i reply with clips from YouTube of some random band that i subbed on bass recently.

(whatever):confused:

15. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Really, I don't know why. I have played with smart drummers, and modest guitarists, and singers who weren't deuche nozzles -- but these are the stereotypes for some reason.

The part about bass players beings smarter -- that's not the stereotype. Nobody but us believes that.

16. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The way I figure it, playing the drums cancels out how much smarter you might have gotten by being a bassist, and you wind up being a vain deuche nozzle.

17. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I could swear i get dumber everytime i hear electro music.

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I don't even know what life is like without music.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm certainly no neuroscientist, but if I had to guess (we'd call it a hypothesis), I'd say that the left side of the brain is likely to light up relatively more in the brains of musicians when exposed to music (not playing music), than is the case among non-musicians when exposed to music (among right-side dominant subjects, that is. The right side would light up more among musicians, I think, among left-side dominant subjects.).

I know that in my own case, it is virtually impossible for me to listen to music in a 100% passive, non-analytical way. There is a part of my mind that is always breaking it down, deconstructing it, evaluating it, etc. - no matter how much I may also enjoy that music as an aesthetic experience... :meh:

MM

20. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I don't know how to read music, TABS, or know much of anything about theory. I only notice that since I started playing bass in '06 or '07 that I have a better handle on my anger. I struggle with mental problems so any help is good help. I feel music can help anybody do anything.