1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have Dean Markley Flatwounds Been Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rezlax31, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Rezlax31

Rezlax31

Feb 14, 2008
    Just curious if anyone knows if Dean Markley have stopped producing their flatwound bass strings. I really wanted to try a set but it seems like they are no longer featured on their website or many other online music stores. Thanks in advance for any help/information!

2. hermano_gusano

hermano_gusano

Mar 31, 2009
    They have indeed, at least temporarily. I understand that Dean Markley flatwounds use roughly 75% more raw metal material and take much longer to make than their roundwound strings, but the demand hasn't been enough to keep up production at their American Winding factory. I'm not an employee of DMS-but I do have some connections(I've designed some packages, promotions and ads for them)- and I could try to scrounge up some samples for you(or anyone) to try out and evaluate if you want to send me a PM. I think if enough players responded positively that they may make them again. My experience with them is little and long ago, but I recall them stacking up well against other flatwounds I've been rocking lately: DR Hi-Beams and D'Addario Chromes.

3. Rezlax31

Rezlax31

Feb 14, 2008
    Thanks for the info man! I am going to see if a local store has some in stock tonight and maybe check them out. I do remember that they a few sets of the guitar flats left last time i was in .