1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have You Bought a New Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am just curious about current Warwick popularity among the TB crowd. If you have bought anew Warwick, German or Korean, in the past two years, please post on this thread.

2. I own 2.

1) I bought a new German Warwick Thumb BO 6 from my local music store. It had actually been in their stock for awhile, so I ended up getting it for a very good price. A fantastic instrument.

2) I bought a new Chinese Warwick-Rockbass Alien Deluxe 6 acoustic bass guitar last year. It's a very good instrument. Plays nicely and has decent electronics with a built-in tuner. There were a few issues when it first came out. When my vendor received it, they were missing a few minor parts involving the electronics (which was corrected prior to shipment to me.) Another thing I noticed was a few frets extending slightly beyond the fretboard. Those frets are basically out of the way, so it doesn't interfere with my playing.

3. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Curious to see responses here as well. After seeing Warwick resale prices I know I'm never buying a new one again, lol.

4. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    Got a new thumb 4bo march/April of 2013, bass was made in 2012. Bass came with Warwick flight case, pretty sure all German made warwicks do now. Purchased bass to start my endorsement with Warwick. I love my old thumb and new thumb about equally the older just has more sentimental ties to me. I since have picked up a katana 5 as well. I have always loved warwicks feel and tone. There were a few years in there that I didn't think they were going in the right direction but what company hasn't gone through that. As for resale yes they're always low, but what exactly are you wanting to find out?

5. Absolutely nothing wrong with buying second hand. If you can get a good enough deal on a used one where the seller kept it in reasonable condition, I'd say go for it. The Germany-built models were constructed with quality and meant to last a long time.

I already own 2 Warwick products but a many others are still on my wishlist (any of which I wouldn't mind buying second hand):
    Warwick Steve Bailey Artist Series 6 (Fretless)
    Warwick Corvette $$ 6 in Nirvana Black
    Warwick FNA Jazzman 5
    Warwick Dolphin Pro I or II 5
    Warwick Nobby Meidel headless
    Warwick-Rockbass Bootsy Collins Space Bass
    Warwick-Rockbass Triumph Lite (EUB)
    Framus Star Bass 5/150

I would also like to own a Framus Panthera guitar someday.

6. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I can't speak for the Op but personally I'm curious to see how many members of our fairly well informed community would buy a Warwick new at actual prices (e.g. Without a substantial endorser or sale discount.)

Most folks on TB are aware of the resale issues.

From what I've seen though the general bass playing "public" isn't. I have seem posts on this forum from new users that express disbelief when they are told what used Warwicks sell for.

To me they seem to fall into a "buy used only" category, despite having bought one new in 2001. Curious to see if others agree.

7. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    So why is it that the Warwicks no longer hold their value compared to something like am American Fender or an American Stingray? These were very popular with pro's in the late 90's from what I recall and I always wanted one, and I was recently able to buy a used one (2004 FNA Jazzman model) for what I consider a steal. As far as would I buy at full street price, I am not sure what that is for a Warwick now.

8. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I bought a 2013 German Thumb NT4 last year from Warwick. Never was concerned about resale expectations.

I've never sold a bass in my 38 years of playing. I buy new, infrequently, and the Thumb filled a hole for me.

Love it. Everything about it.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have not. Every warwick I've ever played felt wrong to me. They are aren't like Fenderish basses. Many folks dig them, but don't buy one because it looks nice. Play a few before you buy anything.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A lot of good basses drop substantially in the used market like Carvin. Even Sadowsky takes a decent hit. The question interests me because Warwicks from Germany have to be the most expensive factory basses around. For what is worth, I bought a new passive Corvette five when GC was blowing them out, and I really liked it. GAS just got the best of me as it so often does.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bought my German Streamer Jazzman new about 4 years ago. It's one of 3 basses I've bought in my entire life brand new, and the only one I still have of those.

12. I bought a new German Corvette 5-string like 15 years ago. I ended up trading it for a used Thumb 4 at my GC about three years later. That was when I had a reality check on the resale market for Warwick (and most others) was horrible. That realization has focused me on the resale market most of the time when GASing for a bass. Still have a fondness for Warwick, as they are great basses, just not my preferred bass at this time. That said, this thread reminded me I still have one now that I should probably sell.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have always wanted a Streamer five Broadneck, but the nearly $4,000 street price is too rich for my blood. They are not exactly light either. The one on the Bass Place website is 12.1 lbs!

14. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Wish they could go back to wenge necks (not just fingerboard).

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think they did in 2013.

16. Bought a custom Thumb NT 5 broadneck two years ago. Expensive? You betcha. Worth it? You betcha. I was never once concerned with resale value because I'll never sell it. If I was concerned, I wouldn't have gone custom. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1405372893.126496.

17. Bought two new Chinese Rockbasses a few years ago an I'm about buy a third new one once I make up my mind which one to get... I don't know if you're including them, but the Rockbasses with the two-piece bridges kick some serious tail. After I got my first one, all of my other basses suddenly became crap in comparison and I sold them all off and bought a second Rockbass.

18. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    You realize a used Warwick will sell for around the same as a new Rockbass though, right?

19. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I bought my Streamer SI 5-string used here on TB for the simple reason that the price of a new one was beyond me. Mine weighs 10.2 pounds.

20. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    They aren't MIA. A number of models have light finishes that require additional maintenance, if it's not performed the instrument wears fairly fast.

I've noticed a ton of little wear issues on mine, it's prone to slap rash, there's an intent over the pickups where I rest my thumb, etc.