Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you ever noticed???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tecx, May 2, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    That young kids on the forum who list Cliff Burton and Jaco in the list of their influences always put (rip) after Cliff's name but not Jaco's?...

Either they are stupid, wish he was dead, or they really don't know anything about the people the so "admire"...

Alex

ps. sorry early morning rant...

2. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Maybe they KNOW Cliff is dead, but think Jaco's just hanging out with Elvis?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    And Tupac!

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like Cliff's playing but I don't put RIP after his name, and I could care less about Jaco. Both deaths resulted in wastes of great talent, but I don't lose sleep over them.

5. that's the one, I think.

I have a sneaking suspicion a good number of forumers don't know much about Jaco and his music, but include him in their profile as an attempt to get taken more seriously.... :ninja: :bag: :ninja: :bag: :ninja:

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I second that, stupid kids...

Alex

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. And Paul McCartney!

Good points made here. Makes me wonder how many of them, then, have actually listened to any of Jaco's work? Or know of the many great artists he actually worked with in his day? I would love to be plagued with the opportunities that Mr. Pastorius was blessed with. And then...what about John Entwistle? (RIP).

9. hey im young, and i dont think cliff is any good, and to me jaco isnt dead as long he lives on in my stereo....oh and i know alot of jaco, downloaded countless videos of live solo's, my fav is at the montreal jazz festival in 1980, plus i have a clip of him with jeff berlin which is short but cool..but i love soul intro/the chicken from the birthday concert "id like to say hello to my mother"...lol

10. You Rock, Heath!
    ;)

11. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    maybe they don't want jaco to rest in peace?

12. Really?...lol

But still, what about Charles Mingus, Noel Redding and Bernard Edwards? and non bassists John Bonham, SRV, Hendrix, Hillel Slovak or john lennon, they all seem to get minimal tribute/respect however you wanna put it....

They have to be my biggest inspirations...

and of course i want them to rest in peace, but i beleive that although they may be dead, they all put in so much heart and soul into their music they live on through that, as long as their music is remembered and listened to they are still alive to me....

Plus i also believe that ye old folk are a bit uptight :spit: :p

13. I get it! The DEAD Paul!!

14. :D
    Indeed My Brotha!

15. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Michael Jackson...aka wacko jaco played bass???????

16. you cant be serious?

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    and Jim Morrison!

but really, im 16, I listen to Jaco and enjoy his work. I wouldn't put RIP after his name or Cliff's or anyones for that matter. they're dead, and three letters isn't going to change anything. except making the family feel better

18. Ultimo_Dragon21

Ultimo_Dragon21

Apr 29, 2004
    I hope you're not serious... Anyway, For those who don't know, They're talking about Jaco (Pronounced 'Jah-ko') Pastorius. Speaking of which, I'm relatively new to bass (2 months and lovin' it!), and have heard little of Jacos work, save for a few snippets. Anybody care to suggest some definitive work of his?

btw: wasn't Tito the bassist?

19. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Self titled solo album, key tracks - Portariat of Tracy and 7/6 jam...

Alex

20. I get depressed being reminded how many great musicians, no matter the "genre", are no longer among us. However, it does gladden me that their music and recordings survive them.

It also makes me sad that I don't get the Paul McCartney joke (is it another McCartney, or are you commenting on the former Beatle?). And that someone confused Jaco Pastorius with Michael Jackson.