Have you guys seen this new combo from GK?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by funkyfretless, Feb 19, 2010.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
  2. sfmag1

sfmag1

Aug 25, 2008
    San Francisco
    Phil Jones is Coming out with the "Bass Cub",smaller than the briefcase and 13lbs!:hyper:

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Its still heavier than the MB150 is. Interesting though. The price is definitely intriguing. Not a huge fan of Neodymium speakers, but I'll have to check one of these combos out if not just to see how they sound with DB. I can't see it replacing the MB150 unless they have the EQ tailored towards Double Bass...

4. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    Does anyone own this amp? Looking for a good flat sound - without shelling out the $ for a Contra. Also, is there a gig bag available for it?

5. It's not available yet; MF has it coming out in late March, so nobody has one yet (presumably). They do look pretty interesting though... I'm definitely intrigued!

6. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    I saw that MF wont have them til march - but it looks like its out/available from nstuff. or is that a bait and switch? I'd like to get this figured out - cause I got an itchy checkout finger.

7. Yeah, I'd confirm that with nstuff, as it looks like nobody else has them yet. Play it on the safe side, seems a little fishy if they're claiming (or even insinuating) that they've got this combo when no one else does.

8. and substantially larger than the MB150. The MB112 strikes me more as an update of the the GK Backline 112 combo than as a replacement for the MB150.

GK amps are all voiced and are anything but flat. If you like the GK sound, that's a good thing, but if you're looking for flat, you may want to look elsewhere.

9. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I use GK for upright and think they are very "well voiced" for use with common piezo pickups, every one I have used.

I will reserve my judgement for the MB112 for when I have actually heard one.

10. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    Thanks for the advice. I thought that the 150s were relatively flat. Any more opinions?

I want a Contra, but its just not in the budget for awhile. I was hoping this might be a good compromise.

I emailed N'stuff about availability. Get back to everyone when I hear more.

Any feedback here is greatly appreciated. I often switch between DB and a 59P.

11. In general, I really like GK amps for bass guitars with passive electronics such as a classic P-bass, while I don't really care for AI amps for the same application.

12. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Can't comment on the 112 but I do have their new MB 210. Sounds great, plenty of power alone, can take an extension cab. Over twice as powerful and only 5 lbs heavier then the 112, but unfortunately twice the cost also. Still worth every penny. Only play bass guitar so I can't comment on how it sounds with DB

13. mikell128

mikell128

Feb 2, 2010
    NY, NY
    They're also coming out with extension cabs for this line of cabs. I think they were labeled 210mbe and 212mbe if I remember right. I'm really interested in how well these perform because of guitarcenter right now they are available for preorder for $299 for the 210 and #399 for the 212. The 210 is 30lb. and the 212 is 34lbs. Pretty amazing states for a 300watt and 600 watt option I really wanna know how good these can possibly be at that weight and price. Especially if I can preorder and get 10% off at guitarcenter with they're feb coupon :)

14. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    They unveiled these at the NAMM show, I guess. A friend of mine (a DBassist) was there. I'll investigate and see if there might be some firsthand testimony available.

15. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    Just got a reply from N'Stuff. They don't have it yet either. Won't be in stock until the end of March. Irritated that I had to msg them to get the facts. Still waiting to hear about NAMM.

16. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    Word from the NAMM show. My friend visited the booth - but it was a zoo, and they couldn't have heard the amp if they wanted to. Bummer. I'll be holding out until I hear something about it before buying it.

17. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
  18. i really liked the 200 watt 15 version of this amp. should be cool

19. Tahoe_Ed

Tahoe_Ed

Apr 9, 2009
    Lake Tahoe
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021