1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you're cats ruined your cab carpeting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    :crying: I have 2 cats, and though I love them both, I want to cry when I see the damage they have done to my new cab. sonsa*&^%$# !!!!

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    cat-gut bass strings?

just kidding- i love animals. my cat is an outside cat so no.

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    lol you got pics?I have a dog and he sheds hair all the time and its blonde hair which doesnt look cool on my dark green carpetted cabs:(

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Buy a bag of Bic throw away shavers and lightly shave the carpet and use a vacum to clean it up or take to a gas station and use the air hose to blow it off. Also great for the fuzz balls that gather up.

5. Yes my cats love rat fur. I recently switched to tolex so my problems are solved. As a side note my father just recently hung a lot of Aurlex acoustical covering in his home studio and his cats went to town on it!!!!!!!!!::eek: :crying: :bawl:

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    One of our cats uses the scratching post, but the other likes to sharpen his claws on my Hartke 410 cabinet. No big deal. I'm glad we both like the cabinet.

7. I have enough problems shaving my own face.:D

8. Our old boy Arlo Guithrie is a semi-outdoor cat, but my SWR stays in the trunk of the car most times. He has got to it more than once.

At last, someone understands the significance of me yelling "BASS STRINGS!!" in the house every time the cat misbehaves. He doesn't know what I'm talking about, but he senses it is not good.

9. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    not yet... but this monster keeps eyeing it and getting close...

MontyDreamsof.

I have the cab up on a table in a hard to get to location... I like the cab, but it makes want to trade it in for something not covered in "scratching post"...

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    This one, Xena, (on my '88 Toyota 4WD "band van") taught me to build a surround that my rig rolls into when at home. It also allows me to set a bunch of stuff above the cab and rack without having to take it off to go to gigs. I always caught her in the act before any real damage was done.

She also liked to go into any of my subwoofer port holes that were large enough to squeeze though. She'd sleep in there or something ... until I gave her some mild low-frequency conditioning ; }

[​IMG]

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have a separate room in my house with my gear, then I close the door and never have to worry about my cat getting to them in the first place.

12. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    my gear is in a seperate computer/music room, and as hard as I try, the door gets left open sometimes,and they go to town! We'll see how much they like it when I do my cabs in Duratex this summer! They have 3 scratching posts, but they only like to use my cab...

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My cats would if I let 'em! For home rehearsal I typically use my little Fender Bassman 25 combo... tolex covered. When my big fuzzy cabs are in my house I store 'em in a closet with the covers on.

When I was A/Bing some rack gear I set up my Berg HT210 down in my basement for a few weeks. I knew my cats would go after that sucka so I kept it covered with a thick towel. Anyone with clawed cats and carpeted cabs needs to take appropriate precautions!

14. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I hate carpeted cabs. View attachment 32008 Here is a pic of my cat, trying to perfect her method of covering every square inch of my cab with hair. Pet shops sell pet hair rollers. (4 inch wide 2-way tape on a handle), They work good. Covers help to.

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Yes. My Avatar and old SWR got thrashed.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Oh, heck yeah! I've got a Nemesis 4x10 combo amp that's been totally shredded by my two kits. I bought some new industrial carpeting in order to re-do the entire cab. Then I'm gonna keep the padded cover on it when it's not in use. They can't claw their way through the cover!

MM

17. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You're gonna laugh, but you can train cats....

Ours scratched up stuff. Furniture, equipment, whatever. I got tired of it, so finally, I took care of it.

Took the cat over to the items, and held up his front paws and lightly made scratching motions on the items....

Then held the cat lightly down on floor with one hand.... sniffed loudly and scratched imaginary dirt over the cat with the free hand..

They know what that means............. :D

The cat got the picture pretty fast, and the problem died down.

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Now on to the tougher job: training bass cab companies [duck]

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My TE 1518 has fallen victim to atleast one of the felines that plague my home. I hate that rat fur covering and I'm beginning to really not like cats. :mad:

So, I plan to recover it soon and I'm looking at my options.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The cats totally ignore DuraTex or other industrial coatings. So maybe they've already had sufficient training? ; }