1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HAZ labs pre amp diagram?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Energija, Aug 26, 2012.

1. :help:
    I'm sure this has been answered before somewhere but I really couldn't find it...
    So I've been having these troubles with this NS-2a I recently bought, mainly the D-G side of the split coil doesnt work and the J is sounding soft and slightly distorted.
    Currently I'm waiting on a PJX set to arrive but in the meantime I've been soldering and trying to get a better sound out of it. So, soldering the P to the J studs gave me a loud distorted tickering sound, the J at the P studs however gave me a beautiful, glorious undistorted tone!
    Before I ruin this worthy preamp by trying out every possible combination I can think of, is there someone with an accurate diagram of how to wire this thing?
    Or is there something broken on the J side of the preamp?

Attached Files:

• HAZ.JPG
      HAZ.JPG
      File size:
      122.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Fixed!
    The poles for the J are reversed opposite to the P.
    It was messed up when I got it, but now its sounding great.
    Shame about the split coil not working fully tho...

3. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    That didn't make much sense but ok. The p pickup is the set of 2 blocks. The j pickup is the single straight bar. Together they are a p/j set. There are no schematics available for the haz or haz copy. Are you saying that half your p pickup isn't working? Check the wires at the pups and also your grounds on the pre.

4. You're right, it didnt make much sense and I corrected my initial post.
    It's fixed by switching the positive and negative wires of the Jazz pickup to the solder studs on the preamp. No more distortion or low output.
    The Precision pickup is indeed only functioning on the E and A string, no loose wires etc so I assume theres something internally wrong with it.
    Like I said, I'm waiting for a PJX set to arrive so when it comes at least I know now the HAZ is ok.

5. This is the diagram I got from PJ at spector (in 1 day!!!) :hyper:
    So the ground poles are reversed for each pickup, that was wrong in my case.
    Hope this helps other people too.

Attached Files: