1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Head/Cab Question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mister_Munro, Apr 9, 2014.

1. So I'm a novice and I'm kind of unaware of a few things. I've been shopping for a new set-up and I have a deal where I can get an aguilar 750 head for a great deal. They are also willing to sell a bag end Q10B-D 4x10 Cab relatively cheap as well..

So here's the issue.. can I run this 8ohm only head into this cab without wrecking it? I've read that you can do this.. thoughts? Ideas.. ?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The head will do anything as low as 2 ohms, so 8 ohms is just fine, so is 4, so is 2.

3. Jimmy's comments are correct, but your question is a little confusing. You call the Aguilar 760 a "8 ohm only head." It's not. Even if it was, the cab is an 8 ohm cab.

Expanding on Jimmy's answer, the Aguilar 750 manual shows that it puts out 975w at 2 ohms, and 750w at 4 ohms. It doesn't list the power at 8 ohms, but with a SS power section, it should handle 8 ohms just fine and probably will provide around 400w. That cab is a pretty high power cab, so you won't be stressing either the cab or the head at that rate, and the head would be perfectly capable of powering a second identical cab if you cared to add one later. That would change the load to 4 ohms and your head would be able to provide 750w to the two cabs.