1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Head Hunting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deadworks, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Ok so at about this time next month I'll be in the market for a new head. My Peavey nitro bass has done its duty and it's time for something better. I've used search for a good 3 hours and looked through threads to gather some information but I'm still kinda up in the air.

I'm about 99.99% sure I want a tube head. And the budget will be aproximately $1000 and I'm probably going to go used anyway so I know I'm going to have some good options available.

Right now I think my number one contender for my money is a mesa 400+. I haven't had a chance to play one yet which is a drawback. I know I need to get out there and get my fingers under some stuff before I make my final decision. And I'll make the time to do that before I plop down the cash. I have tried some SVT's at GC and Ampeg is just not my cup of tea.

My main concern is if I have enough cab for one of those big heads. My cab is an Eden D410-T(the older rear ported) 540W max @ 4ohm. I really like this cab so would like to keep that but I'm not adverse to adding another cab to it later down the road if I find it's necessary.

I play alt-rock/metal in medium sized venues. The tone I want is a warm with a bit of grit in it as my base tone. Am I ever going to be in a situation where I can open one of these heads up enough to get some of the natural tube overdrive? or will my head explode from volume first?

Any input you guys/gals may have I'd greatly appreciate.

2. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    bump, anyone have any input?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I do.

I played a Mesa through one of them there Eden 410's. It sounded awesome. I actually met up with a guy to buy his Eden, and he let me try it out with a Mesa. I tried to buy the Mesa, he said no way. I went out and got a 400 the next week.

You can crank up that 400 with the Eden. I did with no problems.

-Mike

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The 400+ is the only Mesa bass amp approved by Munjibunga.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just curious, what Ampeg amps did you try? Have you tried an origional SVT or SVT-II? Those are great amps; I do not like the current heads in production. Other than those used and the Mesa 400(+), there is the Traynor YBA-200 and the Fender/Sunn 300 used as well. Of course there are many other great amps, but those are the ones that come to mind. I love my Mesa 400+, but make sure you try out as many possibilities as you can.

6. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I tried an svt3-pro at GC. Through an 8x10 and then through a 4x10. I know the classic or an original 70's svt would probably be more what I'm looking for but those are tougher to get playtime on. I just don't think I'm a "svt and fridge" guy. Driving a hatchback kinda seals the deal on that.

There are a few amps I'd like to try before I make my purchase like the TE V series, a peavey classic 400, but again the chances of that happening are slim to none. I need to go to some different music stores though, that stupid GC just has ampeg and GK. In the meantime I just have to browse the amps forum longer and try to find soundclips of different amps

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    A used DB750 is a little more than your $1000, but they are kick butt.
    New Thunderfunks-while not tube-are really warm and punchy, and about that price.
    A used Mesa 400+ in great shape will abe about $850 or so. Nice amp;) The older Mesa 400 is very similar, and can sometimes be cheaper.