1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Head into stereo speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by olias, Apr 1, 2006.

1. olias

olias

Mar 30, 2006
    Amarillo, Texas
    Please pardon the stupid newbie question. I just bought a beginner bass & amp package and would like to get a bit more volume than my 15 watt practice amp offers. I also have a large Pioneer stereo speaker cabinet with speakers I am no longer using, rated at 150 watts @ 8 ohms, with a 14" woofer. Is it feasible to buy a head and use the former stereo speaker as the cab, or is this the sort of thing that only someone who knows absolutely nothing about amplifiers would ever consider? To be clear, I am considering just buying a bass head and plugging it straight into the Pioneer speaker if I can find an appropriate adaptor. Thanks for your indulgence.

2. I would recommend highly against it. You don't get much volume out of stereo speakers; they were designed to do hi-fi sound in a fairly closed room and are not designed to run on higher wattages or be very efficent (loud). Why do you even need more volume? Unless you are in a band or something and can't hear yourself or need a rig for shows, just stick to what you have until you can afford something significantly better.