1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Head suggestions for a GK 112mbx

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Rvl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Looking for head suggestions for a GK112mbx
    Missed the ultraportability of my GK 200mb

Have a EA Wizzy12 combo , my main work horse
    And a PJB Flightcase when I have to carry things a little ways.

The GK 112mbx is going to become my super light touring amp
    I hate having to run into their 8x10 cabinets in clubs or outdoor shows
    The GK cab and head will pack into my large suitcase with my clothes and other gear.

I'll be running my bass/Realist into a Fishman Pro Platinum with the Di out to the board and then into ???? head and use the 112mbx as my monitor

Leaning towards an older EA Micro
    There is an used one for sale now
    The new Micros and Doubler look interesting too

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas
    Has anyone fooled around with GK Micro cabs and different heads ?

Thanks

Robert VanLane

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I use mine with a AI Clarus. I use it with a Sansamp. I tried it with a Fishman and it is ok but I like the Sanamp better. There is a clip here.

3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have used a GK 112MBX with Acoustic Image, GK, Markbass and Walter Woods amps. I like the Walter Woods and GK amps best, but they all sounded fine. The 112MBX can take a lot more power than the modest 100 watt rating, as long as the amp doesn't clip (distort). I have really abused my 112MBX on occasions, and it still works perfectly.

4. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Which Sansamp?
    I sometimes use an original Sansamp for my EUB

But I need a Di to run to the board

Thanks

Robert VanLane

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    BDDI

6. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    i just ordered a GK mb2-500 for mine. I've run a Clarus, Little mark II, several gk heads through mine. I once ran a 700RB though it and it was the best I heard the cab sound. I only still own a GK Backline 600. I know it probably doesn't matter, but the GKs sounded the best through MBX. So I gave up the fight and decided to get the same sound in a smaller package. Your mileage may vary...

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For a while, I was running my MB150E combo effectively flat, by using my own preamp, and I was happy with the sound. So, I suspect that the MBX speaker (same design AFAIK) will sound just fine with a flat amp like the Micro300.

8. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Hey,
    Is it possible to use the GK 112MBX Extension Cab for Micro Bass
    with a GK Backline 600 300W@4Ohm head? I'm not a impedance/wattage expert and I need a lightweight cheap and badass half stack (can't board the airplane with a halfstack that weights over 20 pounds). Any suggestions?

9. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've used the GK 112MBX with a 300 watt @ 8 ohms amp many times with no problems. Your Backline 600 will develop less power into the 8 ohm 112MBX cab, so you should be fine. It's very rugged, just don't expect miracles from a tiny box.

10. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    But will I be able to play at small venues, like a club gig, and be heard over a metal drummer with double pedals??

11. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Not on it's own for metal
    I have used a GK 200mb for rock(20+ years ago)sitting on top of the club's 2x15 or 8x10
    With the DI running into the PA and front monitors and was able to hear myself (front monitors)with 2 half stack guitarists and a drummer

Thanks

Robert VanLane

12. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Agreed. Use common sense about volume levels. Also, read my geeky review of the BL600, which sheds some light on its preamp voicing. The BL600 has a "scooped" response, which when coupled with the sub-harmonic "thump" of an upright, will send a lot of low end to the speaker. I show the settings for dialing the amp to a flat response curve, which I consider to be a better starting point for upright.

13. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    No. As Rob says, don't expect miracles.