1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head to head: Maxon AF9 vs XO Qtron +

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Mar 2, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    sweet! thanks for that.

i love my maxon, and i love my qtron +... but i have the big one. i think i'll get the small one.

:D

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The Q tron sounds wetter and funkier to me in these clips!

4. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I agree 100%

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    thats the first thing that came to my mind as well!

to the OP, thank you for this review!

6. i love maxon more...

Q tron sounds like my EBS bassIQ in hiQ setting!!! witch is good for some stuff but not if you want too keep the bottom in a groove!!!

7. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    To my ears, the Q-tron is nicer with a bit more wetness and top end.

But why do you wanna make them sound alike?
    Try again making them sound their best individually and then we'll have a real comparison!

Also nice playing but whats up with that midifile-sounding thing in the background?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I tried to make them sound the same because it will be almost impossible for me to give you all a broad range of samples of what each filter is capable of and what sounds good to me may not sound good to you.

The "midi" was my Stingray through a POG. I just threw it in there to fill space. :smug:

Now that folks have commented, I'll make my comments too. I also thought that the Qtron was wetter by just so and it offered a bit more range of tweaking. The Maxon is great for onstage use because you can dial in a good sound fairly quick. Rest assured though, the Maxon is very adjustable too. Both retain bottom end well. The Qtron+ loses some in boost mode.

Slappers will probably find that the DOD and its clones have better response for stacatto notes.

The bottom line here (IMHO) is you really can't go wrong with either pedal.

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Siciprider, Those clips sound pretty different to me. I understand the Qtron is more prone to a brighter, wetter sound but how mellow can it get? And conversely, how crazy can the Maxon get? You said that you tried to get them to sound the same but what qualities separate them as the one gets tamer and the other wetter? Am I making any sense?

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Heya.

The Maxon retained the same amount of lows throughout the whole range of adjustments while I was finding the closest settings.

The Q Tron lost a little bottom when I got them close. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too :smug:

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Overall, what do you think does the best of replicating the Mutron III?

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Like many have said before, the Maxon comes closest to the Mutron. The Qtron+ was probably designed to be the next gen Mutron. It's pretty close but it's a very wild cousin.

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Prefer the Qtron actually.

14. love my qtron!

15. a local store has an Ibanez branded af9(used)for little over $100.(130-ish range I think)..that is the same pedal as the Maxon,right??....BTW the Maxon (to me) sounded a little more transparent,the Qtron is wetter....they both sound great though..

16. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    The Maxons are basically reissues of the Ibanez pedals, but the Maxons are true bypass and the ibanezes aren't, AFAIK.

I A/B'd my Maxon AF9 with a regular Q-tron and much preferred the AF9.

jeremy

17. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The Ibanez AF-9 is the original. I would snap it up for that price!!

18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'll make some more clips of both pedals with my fave settings next.

19. i have just messed with the maxon AF9...

i never opened it before and yes it sounds a bit dryer that the Qtron... but today i opened a few of my 9 series pedals... most of them have trim pots inside... they control different parameters... but be careful the are very fragile!!! i set the filter to have the same wobble in the high register as the Qtron... before the peak control had very little difference when sliding it up and down... now its a world of difference!!! and the sensitivity slider is more delicate now... and i fine tuned the registers for my needs!!!

you should see what i have done with FL9... heheh now it can self oscillate!!!

hope this info helps!!!

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :eek:I'll be all over this when I get back to the US heehee :D