1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head with p.a. cabs or a combo.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Gradue, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Captain Gradue

Captain Gradue

Nov 15, 2018
    I am getting back into playing bass at church and some other places. I have two old JBL 15" with a horn p.a. speakers. I want to get a home amp. Can I just buy a head and use the cabs for a rig or should I just spring for a combo(I have a peavey in mind)?
    I have asked around and keep getting mixed messages. Either is fine with me; I just don't know which one would sound better.

I play soft rock and mellow songs at church, and then some 50's rock other places.

Sorry for the noob question, but I would appreciate any advice on the choice.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Welcome to Talkbass!

JBLs can sound really good. A little more info on the cabs would be helpful. Pics too. Include the info plate(ohms, etc). :thumbsup:

Also, what bass are you using?

And for the 50's rock, what size venues will you be playing in? PA support?

3. Captain Gradue

Captain Gradue

Nov 15, 2018
    The JBL's are TR126 cabs with a horn and a 15" speaker.I think they are from the 90's, but I am not sure they were a gift. I play a hofner ignition beatle bass. So far the only other venue is a local high school. I am playing bass in their production of Grease.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here's some info on the cab: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/TR-Series/TR126.pdf

Shipping weight of each cab is 104lbs! These are heavy weight cabs, full range, 8 ohm cabs that handle about 200w each.

One or both would work but you'll need some eq to make them sound like a bass amp. Any of the 200w heads out there would work give you enough volume.

I'd go for something like a Fender Rumble 200 combo and add an extension speaker, if more volume is required.

For the JBLs, unless you have a home rehearsal space that needs a PA, I'd consider selling them.

Balog likes this.
  5. Captain Gradue

Captain Gradue

Nov 15, 2018
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Both of them and a Trace Elf head would be a hilarious rig. Might even sound good.

OP: I've played bass through PA cabs many times. The only thing to watch out for is that the highs can get very harsh sounding very fast, particularly if you're using any kind of distortion.

7. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    I’d get a good head and try that with the PA cabs. If you don’t like the sound or need something more portable, sell the PA cabs and buy a good bass cabinet to go with it.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I am not familiar with the TR126 but it appears to be more on JBL's low end scale. A problem I have had playing bass through this level of PA cabs is the horns tend to be pretty in your face and bass can be pretty hard on the compression drivers, so it's easy to damage/destroy the diaphrams if the horns are not dialed down. Unfortunately, the link @Stumbo provided appears to indicate the TR126 does not to have an attenuator. I would urge caution running bass through these cabs.