Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would love to hear some recommendations for a headphone amp. 80% of the time I do not need one, I just go right out of the EMU, but other times I need to hook up three or four people with headphones. Four is probably the most I'd need. I only want loud clear signal, I'm not mixing or attempting to master here, just track. I'd like to get away as cheaply as possible. PreSonus makes a four channel + monitor out for about 99$.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040624095914012148019163504091/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/184128/

the specs look really good for the price. What do you all think?

Edit, MACKIE is also coming out with a "control Room" thingy called "the big knob" :eyebrow: Name aside, it actually looks sort of cool.

http://www.mackie.com/namm/bigknob.html

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    the Mackie is 300+, the PreSonus wins.

3. Josh, sorry I have been away but I just saw this thread. Did you make your purchase yet?

I would have suggested the Rane HC6 6-Ch Headphone Amp, they also make a 4 channel version. I use two of the HC6's in my studio and they rock for the price!

RANE HC6 6- CHANNEL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome thank Treena, I haven't ordered one yet so you were in time. :bassist:

Is this the 4 channel?

http://www.music123.com/Rane-MH4-Headphone-Amp-i134648.music?t=1

5. Yes Sir, that's the 4 channel version.....well worth the money....they get very loud without distorting, as long as your headphones can handle the power you supply them!

I use the HAFLER P3000 POWER AMPs for my power supply, what are you using for power?

[​IMG]

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I can go EMU 1820M --> to headphone amp ---> Sennheiser hd 280 pro's. Should be a good match with the 280's right?

edit: Power Amp? I have a Mackie 1400.

7. Nice, you'll have enough power to supply headphone feeds to four people at one time. Kewl, you can monitor off your (insert monitors) as they track!( what Monitor setup are you using right now?

Do you track more than one instrument at a time? I'm thinking yes since you are considering multiple headphone feeds!

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, usually no more than three, though I'm almost ready to track drums in my garage. I have the behringer :meh: monitors (I know, I know, I didn't realize they just basically duplicated the Mackies, I'm not buying their stuff anymore anway) and Event 20/20's (which are broken, pending repair or possible upgrade). Mostly I'm just using the HD 280 pro's though. I have a couple of AKG sets for guests, and some people bring their own. I tried a splitter, but most people want the volume significantly higher than I do, or have headphones like the AKG's that require much more to drive them.

9. Blisshead, do you have the ability to give each person a separate headphone mix? Drummers are the hardest to please, they have to hear themselves over the actual kit, therefore they ask to be very, very loud in the phones and most of the other players do not care to hear the drums as loud as the drummer.

Separate feeds with actual tone and volume control is the way to go but, it costs money and takes time to please everyone. Think about it as you are upgrading your system.

Tracking in your Garage will work if you close mic and try to deaden the room as much as possible.

I also suggest using the same brand headphone, that way you know the ohms/impedence match and everyone gets the same sound/tone.........better phones or even bassier phones will cause clients to complain. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Good luck, you're on your way to a nice home studio setup!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have 8 free line outs, so I could send them through a hardware mixer and then to the drummer. Everyone else would have to listen to the same thing as me though. Having the same headphones makes sense, but I'll have to get to it as budget allows. thanks for all the help Treena!

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you may want to try the Rolls website, they make decent little gadgets....

12. Josh,

We all have to work within our budget. I really enjoy talking about recording/gear with you. Anytime I can be of any help, PM me, I always have an opinion to offer.

I have enjoyed both your submissions for the TB Sampler CD........did you record animal64.mp3.....on your home system?

:) Treena

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks Treena! I appreciate it. :bassist: I recorded the first one pre- E MU 1820M and the animal64 post after I got the E MU. I think the E MU card made it a lot easier, I can use some effects going in with no hit to the CPU, and I believe it just sounds better. I did a lot of work to Blister that I didn't have to do to Animal64.

14. Very Nicely done Josh.....sounds awesome!

[​IMG]
    Treena