Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headphone Monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J. Oxley, Jan 30, 2006.

1. J. Oxley

J. Oxley

Nov 22, 2004
    Australia
    Recently i bought my first gig-worthy rig. Its a Fender BXR 400 Dual Bass. All that means is that its a 200/200W. Doesnt look that pretty, it being made the same year i was born, 1989, but is still going strong. Im running a 115 and a 210 cab, not that it has any relevance.
    At practices, i am having trouble hearing myself. Everyone else is having their heads blown off from my bass, but all i can hear is guitar and drums. We have a small studio which means i have to stand closely in front of my amp, literally touching it.
    I am thinking, is there a way i can use headphones as monitors, but still use the speakers for the rest of the band to hear me? I have tried using the line out, but its not loud enough through the cans, unless i switch it to post, which means i will be turning up the speakers the same time i up my headphones. Which comes back to me sending everyone deaf, and we cant have that. If you guys have any suggestions on this, or just on monitors in general, that would be great.

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Could you not put your amp on the other side of the room from where you are standing or go and stand with the guitarist?
    Just a thought. sorry cant help on the monitor question

dave.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    If you have the space, tilt your cabinet up towards you or stack it on top of something to get it closer to ear level. If your guitars and drums are too loud, I strongly suggest you take steps to avoid any further hearing damage. You might research this topic on this site, its vital data.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Buy a small headphone amp for your pre out. ART and Rolls both make good ones that will take your amp's preamp signal and output that signal at the proper impedance for headphones. Getting your cans loud enough to hear over you guitarist and drummer is a different matter, however. If you can swing the $$$, grab a pair of in-ear monitors that will provide comfortable monitoring and hearing protection at the same time.