Headphone Recommendations

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Thee, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I need to pick up a good pair of headphones, my borrowed pair crapped out recently(shhh).

Sound isolation and comfort are the most important factors to me.

I don't need them to be portable or small, I've got a pair for active listening.

Budget isn't too limited, I want something that will last. Also, not looking like a retarded xbox commerical is a plus.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

get the bose headphones that cancel out the sound in the environment so all you hear is the music, and nothing else. they have little microphones in them that listen to the noise outside and create antisound waves in your music to cancel out the noise but you still hear the music. theyre also good when you're on airplanes and want to listen to music. one problem, the price is extremely high!
  3. I got an OLD that says:realistic NOVA '30 on the side and they are really good. But I am sure this wont help cause I bet they don't make them anymore, they came with my parents old sterio. I could play tapes so it wasn't ancient :smug: but it did have a record player so it was definately old
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    1st things 1st. You're going to pay WAY too much for anything that says "Bose" on it. Sorry, Jazzin, that's the truth.

Anything Bose makes someone else makes better at a cheaper price.

My suggestion would be go to http://head-fi.org/ and do some searches. You'll probably find some consensus there on a few pairs. I don't have anything fancy but my $15 Sony MDR-V150's suit me fine...then again I hardly ever use headphones. They seem to isolate pretty well though.

brad cook
  5. i have a pair of sony MDR-7506 that are very good. when i first got them i thought they were really bass-heavy, until i learned that most headphones really suck and these are pretty flat. the sound isn't for everyone, but since you're not going for the really open, airy sound of open-address headphones, you may find the $99 well worth it.

re: Bose, i generally agree, but i was under the impression the cool part about their noise-cancelling headphones was not audio quality (never is with bose), but their low weight and comfort. the aiwa noise-cancelling headphones my dad has weren't very comfortable, but they did help quite a bit on an airplane.

6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to recording gear and equipment.
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I recently picked up a set of earphones. Etymotic Research ER-4P. For $225, I got a set of reference-quality phones that are great for listening to music, perfect for my computer recording "studio" dalliances, and which also could make great in-ear monitors for stage use, although they aren't exactly the most inconspicuous looking things.

Headphone.com (where I bought them) says this about them:
    Not bad for the price, considering you can spend $1k or more on a set of phones!

Can you tell that I like these things?

;) :)
  9. Can you say Zalman 5.1 headphones? :hyper: :hyper: (we need one of those evil-looking smilies.) I have these and they're great!! Don't buy them though, for your purposes they suck for music because they sound bad if you only have the first two channels hooked up.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    "Canceling Collapsible Headphones

High-tech noise-canceling microphones knock out competing ambient sounds with an anti-noise wave."

Can someone explain how how works?
  11. onboard microphones pick up the ambient noise around the listener and amplify a phase reversed signal to acoustically cancel the ambient noise.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I almost cried when I bought some AKG's (which are quite nice for my bass headphone amp....a Korg PX-3B) but didn't think to get some of these http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html .

The price is about the same - $100, and the Alessandro company doesn't sell anything but the crazy best.