1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphone suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FretlessD, Nov 1, 2010.

1. FretlessD

FretlessD

Oct 30, 2010
    I just purchased a TC Electronics RH 450. This is my first micro head that I can carry with me for practice. Any suggestions for headphones that are responsive and yet fair in pricing?

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Sony MD7506. Cheap and really good. Lots of studios have these.

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I've noticed each time such a thread pops up we get a list of like 10 different headphones ranging from 50 to 150 dollars with all kinds of pros and cons. I'm also interested but can't make up my mind.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes, Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro and Sennheiser HD380 Pro. Fair in price for high qaulity sound plus extra comfortable for extended periods of wearing time. Only cheap headphones Id ever concider are AKG. Their $100 ones (internet store not list prices). Buying cheap isnt worth it imo. Buy qaulity and you have something that can last a lifetime and which actually sounds real good and is real comfortable in wearing.

5. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Sony MDR-V6. Almost the same as the MDR-7506 but a less fancy exterior. It does not have the gold plated plug and is $20-30 cheaper. Some reviewers have rated the V6 superior to the 7506's. I doubt anyone can really tell the difference that a gold plug makes in sound.

6. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    I always assumed gold plated connector were better in term of resistance to corrosion/oxydation over time, i.e. you lose less performance over a 20 years period.

Anyway, what do you mean by fair in pricing ?

My earbuds (q-jays) are fairly priced imho, while still expensive in my book,
    What's your maximum budget ? can you wait and save a little ?
    I started with a 100$ budget, ended buying something over 200.
    Not saying price is everything but great headphones usually do cost more, good design seems to cost.

In the end, ime, lifespan is everything, check for something with an easily replaceable cord if you plan to carry the headphones around alot.

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Grado.

8. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I've just been experimenting with phones and ended up with a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50's. They sound LOVELY. Very rich, well defined low end, and smooth articulate sound all the way up. They are easy to drive also, which isn't the case with all phones.

Make sure to figure out if you want open or closed cans, that's a very important distinction.

9. FretlessD

FretlessD

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Etienned, fair in pricing... I guess I'm really looking for something where you actually get what you pay for at whatever price point. I just hate it when I read reviews and they fall short. That's why I'm going to you guys.

10. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Sennheiser HD202. Cheap and have a lot of bass.

11. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    They are definitely very good cans for $20. But they are pretty uncomfortable for long sessions. Also compared to nicer models they are a bit boxy and the bass is a bit muddy/distorted (but strong).

12. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I just bought a set of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's. I really like them and they came in under $100. GC stocks them, so they're easy to get your hands on. They aren't bass heavy. The response seems very even.

13. jro

jro

Mar 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    A 2nd vote for BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro's. Best headphones I've ever had. Everything is so detailed its like hearing a whole new music collection. Comfy too.