1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dideah, Dec 8, 2011.

1. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Hey tb, I'm planning to buy headphones to connect to my amp so I can play though my headphones . My budget goes up to 200 usd but I rather spend around 100 . Right now I'm looking at some of the Sennheizers and shure headphones . Would the shure 550 dj headphones do me good ? I do not want to buy beats lol I'm against it what are your recommendations ?

2. 200 bucks is apretty good budget. I personally like AKG headphones, I have the K121 Studio and find them very decent. also they don't cost more than 100USD.

DJ headphones tend to have a low frequency boost, which make them unreliable for critical listening purposes. You might like them, if what you planning to do is play bass guitar with them.

The most important thing to do is, if you have the option: go to a store, take you favourite CD with you and test all the headphones (in your price range) you can, listen carefully for details, and most important make sure they feel comfortable; there's no point in having a super high fidelity pair of headphones if they press heavily against your ear.

3. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Are you looking for something closed to maximize sound isolation, or could you get away with an open type where what you're listening to will be slightly audible to others? In your price range Grado makes some fantastic open back ear cans.

I'd recommend doing some reading on headphone.com (no affiliation). They do pretty thorough reviews and have a good selection.

http://www.headphone.com/

4. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Well I don't want head which vibrate like I tried some good headphones and they vibrate I think those were skull candys and made for **** dub step . Would these dj headphones do that ? I would listen to music and play bass they only sell sennheizers shure beats and gaming headphones .

5. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Go for the Shures. I have the 750 djs and they are fantastic. I would go for the 750s over the 550s and you are still under your budget.

I have 7 sets of headphones, and I like the Shures better than any of my others except my Audez'e LCD-2s , but they were over $1200.00. The Shures can be uncomfortable for some people. I have a square head and they fit me pretty good.

Do not buy beats or skullcandy , or any of that crap. I would look at Shure(not 2x0 series) , Audio Technica M50, or Sennheiser for closed cans, or Grados for open.

A good place to start http://www.head-fi.org/
    JMO

6. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Thinks I'll head over to mall of the emirates tonight :)

7. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

Shure 440's are great for $100 or less....i like em better than the 880s .....Beyer Dynamic Pro 770 are the best prosumer ones i've found yet

AKG k240 and MK 2 141 are ok too ...but not as good as the Beyers....they are in you budget ...about $180

8. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    I can recommend Beyerdynamics DT 770 and Sony MDR-7506. Both around $150...

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I would also recommend taking a look at Direct Sound EX-29's. They're an isolation headphone, so they work really well for whole band situations. I use them for band practice, and I know plenty of guys use them live as well (Paul Gilbert for one).

They have a fairly flat response, so they work for monitoring/mixing too.

10. kr0n

kr0n

Feb 4, 2009
    I got AKG k271 and they feel pretty good and sound nice.

I haven't done any comparisons but to me they sound pure and articulate, which is not an expert opinion.

They're big, comfy, have a replaceable long cord with adapter for big stereo plug, on/off switch in the springy part so they shut down when you take em off. Long usage, like 4+ hours in gaming they tend to take a little toll but not that bad. I think most will produce a "feel in the earlobe" thingie after that many hours.