1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Health Insurance!?..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassfacer22, Dec 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. didn't want to double post so please go here.. but basically wanted to ask TB'ers about health insurance (U.S) and experiences and which one to choose ...

Original post..
    here

Here we go.. Health Insurance!?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If you don't have employer provided health insurance, and don't qualify for Medicaid in your state, then you should probably find out what your options are through Obamacare. There's a website where you can enter some basic information, and it will tell you what plans are available in your area, for what cost. That will help you narrow things down a lot.

A band mate who is a full time musician, signed up for Obamacare and then shortly after, came down with a major illness that nearly killed him and put him in the hospital for several weeks. His insurance covered him with no surprises.

GregC likes this.
  3. Yes I know there is a website but wondering if people have experienced some good or some not so good plans and possible ideas.. I have to choose a company and plan coming up or I'll get penalized etc..

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    If you like your doctor you can keep him! Sweet!

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Different plans for the companies - tough to say one company is better per se. However, if you go to the individual company websites, you will get better rates than through the government site.

Been there done that.

6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    If you qualify for the ACA insurance premium subsidy (monthly tax credit), don't you have to get the policy from healthcare.gov, or your state's exchange if they have one? There's an official government approval process. The tax credit subsidy toward the monthly premiums can be huge, depending on household income and which policy you choose.

7. Good to know! will check into all of this!

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    The good news is that you will be able to get insurance and it will be a legitimate policy unlike a lot of individual insurance pre ACA / Obamacare. The bad news, it will cost money. Plans vary greatly state to state. It would help you get better advice if you mentioned your state. Hopefully this doesn't violate TB no politics policy, but my personal opinion is that we have cemented the notion of a national healthcare plan, the next logical step will be universal health care and I think that will come sooner rather than later.

9. Yes true, Well I guess OHIO would be the State.. of course being a "traveling" musician, I'll be moving around.. Wont' be living in OHIO for long if you know what I mean..

10. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One thing to keep in mind about the "Marketplace/ObamaCare" plans is that if you do get a plan through it you may have a hard time finding a doctor who will take you. Make sure to read the fine print and if you already have doctors you've been going to then check to make sure they are in-network for whatever plan you're looking at.

I don't know about Ohio but here in Texas it took me two months to find a general physician doctor who would take me as I was told multiple times that "we are not currently accepting any more patients with Marketplace plans". After finally finding my general physician it took me three more months to find a urologist to take me for that exact same reason, and another month to find a surgery center that the urologist operated out of who was in my network. When I enrolled in the exact same plan for 2016 the cost went up $65 per month as did costs to visit the doctors...and now I'm looking for a part or full time job that actually offers benefits.

Moral of the story: be careful and conduct a lot of your own research! Good luck.

11. Yes very good to know. Thank you