1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heaphone suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, Im a at a total loss as to what headphones to get. Ive been on Amazon all day and havent found a pair that clicked. I was looking at Skullcandy earbuds (Titan series). The most I would spend would be 40 fyi.

I would love a pair of great sounding and very durable headphones, not earbuds. Also one problem I want to avoid is a loose wire, which is the only reason I tend to buy new ones.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Don't get Skullcandy if you like having good bass response. They claim to be good for bass frequencies, but every pair of theirs that I've tried has lacked a lot in the low end.

3. yea Skullcandy is prob my go-to purchase since Ive used them in the past, and they aren't terrrrible.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    All day looking at headphones? Wow.

-Mike

5. Look at what Sennheiser have to offer in the same price range. You can do a lot better than Skull Candy for the money IMO.

6. Yea i saw the HD203, looks nice. Still wondering if I can find better. I really want to avoid the one sided headphone problem

7. Do you mean ending up with offset ear-lengths, or one ear dying?

8. yea one ear dying. The only problem I run into is a loose connection. I have headphones that sound good but are broken and Id hate to have to buy another pair in a few months due to this problem occurring again.

9. Grado SR60. They can be had for around $60 and you will not regret the money for a second.

lowsound

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Exactly. Sure, they aren't terrible, but for the money you can do MUCH better. The Sony equivalents at that price point blow the Skullcandy's out of the water - and I don't consider Sony to be anything super amazing.

11. HaRd

HaRd

Aug 10, 2011
    Long Island
    Aren't the skullcandy titans.. ear buds? I have a pair of smokin' and a pair of titans and I can honestly say they fit the mold well for me as an everyday pocket commuter. I'm personally not very fond of earbuds and would wear full size cups everyday if it was reasonable but in the summer on a train my head would probably melt.

12. at the time I was still thinking about getting those or a pair of cans.........yep!

13. I got a pair of Sennheiser HD205s. Very good so far! £39.99 is good value!

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you want headphones to wear at home, then go for total isolation phones - my favorites for 30 years, the Sony MDR-7506 ($99):
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-...IF4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325520890&sr=8-1

...or for a larger headphone, the Sony MDR-V600 ($64.00, and the 'phones I use at home):
    Amazon.com: Sony Studio Monitor MDR-V600 Stereo Headphone: Electronics

You can't buy a pair of really good headphones for under $40. You can buy some OK ones; I have one pair of Skullcandy phones, and I'm not convinced that Skullcandy is "all that".

Go to Amazon.com, search for "Sony MDR" and just about any of the headphones that pop up are worth considering. Choose the style and ear cups you like best.

15. i just realized i misspelled headphones...........*ahem*

I may wait until next week when Ill be able to get a pair in the next tier. So at least I have more time to look for a pair i suppose.

16. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    CNET had reviews of headphones and Klipsch were ranked as some of the best. The klipsch were priced under $100 and some of the others were in the $500 range.

17. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    IMO/IME the ~ $100 range is the sweet spot for headphones. You get very good quality without breaking the bank -- kinda like dropping $1k on a used bass. You don't get boutique, but what you get is pretty darned nice.

Of the three sets I own in this range, the Grado SR80i's are my hands-down favorite set. Very balanced and musical.

Tied for 2nd place are the AKG 240 Studio's and the Sennheiser HD 280 pro's. The AKG's are open-ear and the Senn's are noise-isolating so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

Good luck in your quest.

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. I also have the HD 280's. Nice cans.

19. I just have some Sennheiser HD515s and I love the sound. They weren't too expensive and very comfy with a pretty nice all around frequency response.