1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hearing Loss and Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jul 28, 2000.

Tags:
  1. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    jchrisk1 likes this.
  2. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    When I started rehearsing/gigging with a band regularly, I went to an audiologist and had my ears fitted for custom-molded Westones, similar to the ones in the link below. The plug that can be inserted into the earpiece comes two ways: as a solid plug that blocks out just about all sound or a plug that has a filter/small screen on it. Or, you can just take the plug out entirely and wear only the earpiece. In essence, you have 3 options for blocking sound, depending on your needs. Insurance paid none of it, but these were well worth the $180 spent.

Westone Laboratories, Inc.. Westone ES49 musicians earplugs with ER15 filter. 1989 | MoMA

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  3. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Agreed. You will spend $ 200 bucks on a pedal without much thought. It’s a simple decision to spend the same money to protect your hearing for a lifetime.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I got a bulk box of like 200 pair from Amazon for around $40 I think. I use them for mowing or running machinery, at concerts, bars, movie theaters, to help sleep during the day, you name it. I actually do audio for a living so i'm probably more concerned and paranoid about hearing loss than the average person.

For playing music, though, I wear UE900 IEMs. These are just generic in ear monitors that happen to sound great.

5. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    Tried several... currently using “Eargasms”. They let me hear what I want to hear with sufficient dB reduction.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Now if I could only find a combo all-in-one hearing aid (so I can hear anything) ear plug (so I can save what little is left) IEM (so I can hear myself) that also bluetoothed with my phone... ...ought to be possible, probably even a market for it amongst us aging boomer types. :D

Whammytap and BlacksHole like this.
  7. Jdash

Jdash

May 21, 2018
    Thats called a cochlear implant - I am bilaterally implanted with MedEl - the longest implant arrays that reach the full extent of the cochlea. A musicians choice. If your hearing loss is severe, and you are a candidate for CI's, choose MedEl.

Rumbledore and 9mmMike like this.
  8. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Huh?

Quit mumbling!

I crave blearing adage?

What!? Speak up!

Oh...I have hearing damage. Yeah, no kidding!

BlacksHole likes this.
  9. same here, mine is from loud music, shooting guns, loud cars, working on a racecar team, (drag car, worse than round track) standing next to the drummer, all w/o hearing protection

10. Always used to have ACS moulded 15's until I lost my last set. I lost them at a concert a few years ago and couldn't afford new moulded so have been using ACS ER20's.

Finally just got a new pair of custom moulded ACS Pro17's. Thinking I should've perhaps went for the 20's but man, what an improvement in comfort and tone.

11. GilbouFR

GilbouFR

Dec 1, 2017
    When I was a kid I started playing and my parents told me to protect my ears. They only bought me Walkmans with the little knob for "volume protection" and I've trained myself to listen to music while never going too high on volume. Now, having passed 40 years old, my hearing is in good shape. I've bought myself ear protection (something called music safe by Alpine) mainly because of drums. I always think of Phil Collins. Loved to hear the guy sing and play and seeing the tears in his eyes when he explained he could no longer play really broke something in my heart. I'll never forget this. We must make sure we tell everyone especially young players to really protect their earing.

12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I’m on and off again with earplugs. I have several Off the shelf “musician earplugs” as well as custom molds with er9 and er15 filters. I need to make a New Years resolution to wear them more often. IMO they all effect some frequencies to some degree, but if you wear them consistently you do adjust. I’ve fallen out of the habit, and have been playing more acoustic/drummerless gigs, so have needed them less often.

13. JoeM1

JoeM1

Feb 4, 2019
    I messed up my hearing through no fault of my own. There was a electric explosion at a plant I used to work at. I was wearing my plugs too. I have tinnitus. The idiot who caused this never was disciplined.

14. I have custom molded earplugs (not that expensive, actually) with 9dB inserts. At that level I can hear most of the nuance in what I'm playing. My band is moderate to low volume, so it's enough for protection. I usually set up on one far side of the band, so occasionally I will wear the earplug on the side facing the band where music and drums have the highest impact, and omit the plug in the other ear.

15. TWallace

TWallace

Feb 27, 2014
    Maryville, TN
    This is so true. My ears now make me almost useless as a bass player. I was never able to read music so I played by ear and made cord changes by feel. Tinnitus is something I would not wish on my most hated enemy!

Tom