1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hearing the high strings, D and G?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ripper75, Jun 26, 2007.

1. I am having a hard time hearing my high strings when i play high notes on D and G string. i am playing an old epiphone bass which has a good bit of low end due to luthier pimping the neck pup with magnets and such, but the bridge pup is kinda weak. i would like to hear a clearer presence in regards to high notes. any suggestions? thanks.

2. I was just checking this forum about a similar problem. I have several basses that pump out great low end thump, but the highs disapear. This is partly do to my eq settings and my preference for flat, semi flat or tape wound strings. All my pickups are split p-type and I've tried moving them around so the strings are closer to the pole pieces. I'm wondering if a blade style pick up will produce more even string volumes?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

virtually any brige pup is going to weak compared the neck pup by virtue of it's location. Many basses in fact have identical pup in both locatons.

You just have to mess with the hieght, bass will drop out some as the pups lowered and tone will mellow out. Clarity and presence probably more apparent by raising them but it may just not be in the pup, bass, rigging, whatever to be had with the existing setup.

What does your luthier say?

4. I've done a little more experimenting and for me changing to a brighter sounding string had the biggest effect on getting the high strings heard. I had been tweeking the pickups this way and that, but as long as each string is reasonably close to the pole pieces(one article I read said 1/4 inch is a good starting point), I found the strings had a greater effect. Now I have to comprimise between the low thumpy sound I like and having my high strings heard. Good Luck

5. BigCarl

BigCarl

Apr 7, 2005
    i had this problem on my p-bass. i split the p-pickup into two sends one for the e and a and one for the d and g. i can adjust the volume independently for each pickup. problem solved.

i also added a j bridge pickup, but that was for something else.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

that's pretty extreme but yeh you could do that, although it'd probably hum since they become two single coils instead of one HB then.

7. Ooops, I don't want to give bad info 1/4 inch might be too low. Luknfur has some good suggestions so I re-checked and 1/8th inch is probably a better pick up hieght. Also like he said different strings with more core mass and stuff can be louder. Wow splitting the pickups with 2 sends. Hmm wonder how hard that would be to try?

8. I've had the same problem for years.......great low end but the volume is lacking in the high end. I CAN get more high end volume, but when I do, the brightness factor increases......what I want is the volume without the brightness. I'm sure I'll learn from some of you that have conquered this problem.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021